CHAPTER SEVENTEEN:LOVE VS BLOOD

Bakshi Bano P.O.V.

Nusrat and I sat on two separate seating places as our mothers took out our nazar.Then mami-jaan turned to look at Abed Khan's mother,Rukaiya Begum,"Please come."

Rukaiya Begum went towards Nusrat Bano with her bandi holding several trays,"Nusrat Bano,this is your wedding dress.Your jewellery.Your shoes.The duppata with which you will be bid farewell.We welcome you into our family where we will honour you with kindness,respect and love.You may be your mother's daughter,we may never rival the love that you have for your mother.Yet,we do hope that we will be able to treat you as well as she does."

Nusrat's gifts were handed off on the table placed next to her as her mother-in-law walked back.When all the members of Abed Khan's family had given Bakshi her girfts ammi-jaan spoke.

"Malika Begum,aaye."

Malika Begum walked towards me,her bandi as well as a few of the palace bandi following her with trays in their hands,the first tray held a scroll which Malika Begum took as she stood in front of me,turning to face the other ladies.

"As you all may know this rasam is done by the groom to be's mother.Unfortunatley Malika Jahan could not join us here today.She has sent her message along with me." Malika Begum unrolled the scroll before reading from it,"To those present in Hajjat Qila for the wedding of Bakshi Bano,daughter of Gulbadan Begum and Mukhtar Ahmed Khan saab to Shahensha Haider,Marhoom Shahensha Hassen and Jahan Begum's son,istaqbal hain aapka.My absence does not mean the absence of my blessings for the couple that is to be wed.Bakshi,your wedding dress is your armour that will never leave you open to any of those that wish you bad.Your jewellery will be prove that you are more then worthy to be the second Queen of this Kingdom.Your shoes will forever be your guide in the Shahi Mahal.Your perfume secents will never dull who you truly are.Your bidaa duppata will be your shadow in our mahal that will never let the rain of bad befall you.Bakshi,you have always been a part of our family even if you were far from us.Yet,I welcome you to the Shahi Khandan as a daughter,whom I know I will never treat as well as Gulbadan Begum has treated you,I hope I can treat you half as well as she has and that will be my greatest honour.We cannot wait to see you at our gates.Malika Jahan."

My gifts were all put on the tables,I looked at Malika Begum who still stood in the front.She turned to face me as a bandi held one more tray that still had not been put down.

"Bakshi bano,this my gift to you.This is my sign of acceptance that you will never be below me,you will always be my equal.We will handle every responsibility as a Shahensha's begums together.We will never hide anything from one another,we will be companions and we will be comrades.We will be like a hand that will never let go of our husband's respect and honour.You will be my sister and I will be yours.May Allah bless our relationship,keep us standing strong together through every storm."

"Ameen." She gave the tray to my bandi before walking to ammi-jaan who stood next to my seating place.I watched as she brought ammi-jaan towards me,looking at me with a smile that asked me numerous questions at which I gave a nod.

"Bari chachi-jaan,kya mein aap se kuch mang sakti hon?" Malika Begum asked as she made ammi-jaan sit down next to me.

(Can i ask you for something?)

"What can I give you,Sahal Begum?"

I let out a gasp as did every other women who witnessed Sahal Begum spreading her duppata open by holding the two end in each hand,creating a net.

"Will you accompany us to Shahi Mahal and reside with us as a member of Shahi Khandaan?"

Ammi-jaan put her hand over her mouth as she could not seem to comprehend what Sahal Begum asked of her,"How can I come to my daughter's house?" She whispered after moving her hand,letting it fall on her duppata.