CHAPTER THIRTEEN:THE CALL (PART 1)

Haider P.O.V

As we finished eating the morning meal,Bakshi Bano’s bandi came into the room.She bowed her head as Mukhtar Jahangir Alla looked at her,”Bolo,Khaazra?”
(Speak,Khaazra)

“Bakshi Bano has sent a request for Shahensha Haider and Malika Begum.She has requested a meeting seperatley with them.She would like to meet with them at the training grounds.She has also requested that when she speaks with Shahensha Haider in private,she would like Hakim Alla saab to be present at the training grounds.”

Mukhtar Jahangir Alla looked towards me,I gave a nod of my head as I looked at Khaazra,”Tell Bakshi Bano we shall meet her there.”

“Jee,Shahensha Haider.” Khaazra exit the room while we begun to stand up.I looked at Sahal who had an eyebrow lifted as we exit the eating room,our bandi and guards following us,as we begun to make our way towards the training grounds.Hakim Alla followed us as we came to the entrance of the training grounds.

“Shahensha,you may go first.Hakim Alla has to leave for his security rounds.” Sahal announced as we stopped outside the entrance,I gave a nod and Hakim Alla held the curtains open for me.I entered first,Hakim Alla followed me and the curtains closed behind him.

I looked around the training grounds,impressed at the set up that had been put into place.There were straw figures placed around where I presumed sword practice took place,there were archery targets placed at the end wall with a table of bows and arroes on a table.Under a straw roof there were several different weapons which hung on the walls.

At the far end there were several trees under which there were seating areas.I spotted Bakshi Bano under one of those trees,her sword in her hand as she seemed to be wiping the blade down.

“Shahensha,I shall wait here.” Hakim Alla spoke to me,I gave a nod as I descended the stairs and made my way towards Bakshi Bano.The sand under my feet did not allow for any noise to be made,yet it seemed as if Bakshi Bano even if she were in her own fort,were on high alert.Her head snapped towards me,at which she laid her sword on the table and stood up,lowering her head the smallest bit.

“Adab,Shahensha.” She greeted as she lifted her hand up.

“Adab,Bakshi Bano.” I lifted my hand up as well before lowering my hand.Bakshi Bano kept her gaze lowered as she gestured with an open palm.

“Please take a seat.” I did as she asked before she sat down as well,once again cleaning her sword.

“Shahensha,your proposal for me is the biggest honour I could ever receive.I have questions in my mind that I hope you will answer foe me,please.”

I gave a nod of my head,”Of course,ask whatever may be plaguing your mind.”

She shifted her sword to the side as she put her hands on her lap,lifting her head almost with a tilt,”It is well known through out the entire Sultanate that you have never had intentions of marrying again,then why have you choosen to marry me?”

I froze at that moment,there were many things that I could have expected Bakshi Bano to say at this moment.Her questioning me for the reason behind marrying her caught me off guard.It made me want to bend my head in shame at my reasoning for wanting to marry her.I knew I could lie at this moment,tell her that the only reason I want to marry her is that I became floored by her the first time we met and that is why I want her to become my queen.How could I lie though?How could I betray her trust from the very beginning?

If I lied then she found out,I would be a terrible person.If I spoke the turth and she refused,at least she would have a choice.

I blinked my eyelids before answering,”The reason as to why I chose to marry you is that I need support in my palace,things are turning against me,people are turning against me.Perhaps I am too blind to notice because they are all my own.I need someone who will be able to see past that all,open my eyes to my enemies and protect my family,my Sultanate.”

Bakshi Bano gave a slow nod of her head as if she were processing what she heard from me,I noticed she laid her hand onto the table,drumming her fingers as she seemed to think over what I said,”So,I will be a shield for you.What will you be for me?”

If her first question had me frozen,her second question had me questioning what I could do for.Who I could be for her?As I thought,Bakshi Bano begun to speak again.

“Shahensha,you will be marrying me when your heart belongs to the one woman this Sultanate would give their lives for,knowing you would do the same.In a marriage,a woman and man might marry for political reasons.There are still duties that our religion has ordered the man to carry out towards the woman.Be it in time or affection.As a woman,” She looked down as she moved her hand off the table,”I might need your time,your companionship and a part of you that is only reserved for me.I do not want the love that you give Malika Begum,I want your respect,your kindness and you making me a part of your honour.If you can give me this much,I would not mind being your wife.If you cannot give me that,as a citizen of your Kingdom,I would still marry you and fulfil my duty.”

I did not I held my breath as she spoke,her eyes flickering between me and her hands on her lap.Her voice soft and calm as if she had already contemplated this decision,as if she had made her mind up.

I could not be unfair to her,expecting her to be shield for myself while giving her nothing in return.What she had asked me for is something I would be able to give her and expect it in return.Whether those feelings would become something more we would have to see.

“You will always have my respect and kindness.I would never mistreat you nor cast you aside.I would treat you as I would Sahal.You will be my wife,my companion and someone whom I would rule alongside.I will fulfil all of my duties and responsibilities according to the rules laid out by our religion.You will hold the position of being my wife,Sahal’s sister wife and a Begum of our Sultanate.You will be respected,honoured and regarded all through out the Sultanate.” I took a deep breath,before letting it out as my eyes met her eyes as they lifted,”If my feelings towards you change,I will never hold them back from you.As long as you feel the same for me,the boundaries and rules that you lay for us,I am more than willing to follow them.”

She blinked a couple of times before giving a nod of her head,”That is enough for me.”

I gave her a nod back before remembering that I had to discuss something with her,”Your mehr will be 10000 gems,5000 diamonds and 3 kilogram of jewellery.Are you content with that?”

“I am.” She looked around the training area,”I wish to take half of the Black Cavalry with me,Rukhsar Mirza will come with us.Bhaktawar Mirza is more then capable of leading the Black Cavalry part that I will leave here.I wish to set up a training arena at the palace along with Malika Begum,if I have your permission.”

That would be good,if there were another battalion who could not be influenced and it would grow with time,”You have my permission.You may also involve others from the palace as well as those around the palace.”

Bakshi Bano lowered her eyes,I noticed a shiver go through her body as she spoke her next words,”I would like for ammi-jaan to move with me to the palace.She has held the position of head accountant here,she is now willing to pass that position down to someone else.I would prefer to have her with me.It may seem as if she is fine being away from abu-jaan but her solitude haunts her.My heart cannot bare being away from her,when I know my presence gives her piece of mind.”

Her care for bari chachi-jaan,evident from her voice that seemed to shake.Her voice did not shake when she asked me what would she be to me nor when she asked to bring the Black Cavalry to the palace,yet it shook now.Now,when she asked for the person most precious to her.I knew that no one would mind,let alone be offended by bari chachi-jaan’s presenece at the palace.In fact,ammi-jaan will be elated that her closest friend and family member would be near her.Sahal would find a position that would be fitting for bari chachi-jaan.

“I will request bari chachi-jaan myself to accompany us to the palace and Sahal will be more then happy to arrange her living arrangements at the palace.”

Bakshi Bano’s head shot up in surprise at my words,her eyes a slight bit wide as if she could not believe that I had agreed to her.Her eyes flickered with happiness,lighting up as if that is the best wish I could have granted of her’s.

“That is all I had to ask from you,Shahensha.I promise,I will keep you,Malika Begum and our Kingdom safe,even if it may come at the cost of my life.Whoever wishes bad for you and has planned for it,I will serve as a barrier between them and you.I promise you.” The fierce fire in her eyes,her narrowed almost night black eyes and the confidant lifted chin filled me with hope.

A hope that the coming days for our Sultanate will be better then what has passed.Our enemies would not succeed with us standing in front of them.