Chapter 6: Closed off

Chapter 6 – Closed off

Two days later.

When you woke up for training today, you received an unexpected announcement from Instructor Keith Shadis to gather in a meeting room for an emergency briefing. What could it be about?

When you entered the room, you found several members of the Survey Corps already inside. You recognized Eren, Mikasa, Jean, and others from the 104th cadet corps. You saw Commander Erwin seated at the front of the meeting room along with Captain Levi, and a brown-haired woman with glasses. A ginger-haired guy stands next to her.

There were other members of the Survey Corps, people you've seen around in the HQ before, but unaware of their names or titles. You spotted Mario among the soldiers and went to sit down next to him. You wondered why the other two Military Doctors, Niko and Johanne, were not called in here.

The meeting started not long after that, with Erwin announcing the expedition's new date. A multitude of reactions and responses filled the room, with many being confused and startled. Everyone had been expecting the expedition, it's just that they didn't expect it to happen so soon. An expedition in five days? You gulped and looked at Mario, who also looked back at you nervously.

"As we all know, ever since the fall of Wall Maria, our expedition efforts have been fully focused on establishing routes from Wall Rose to Maria. Right now, our focus is on Trost District and heading South. We continue to set up small bases, resupply stations, and extra fortifications when needed." Erwin explained.

Erwin then began explaining the reason for moving the expedition date so soon. "This time, it will be different. We will have our newly minted Survey Corps Military Doctors joining us on this expedition. Everyone, this is Y/N and Mario, they are medical professionals and have been training with us for some time," Erwin said and pointed a hand in you and Mario's direction. You gulped again as everyone's eyes fell on you.

"Pleasure to work with you all," you and Mario said simultaneously and saluted.

Erwin then moved on to discuss the plan and scouting formation. Because you and Mario were still very new, both of you are to be situated in the middle-rear of the long-range scouting formation, near the Special Ops squad.

The plan is to minimise direct combat with Titans, and the new formation was arranged in a way that could bring injured soldiers to you and Mario. You and Mario will be traveling on your own horses beside other Scouts who will be transporting carts, and those carts will be where injured soldiers are tended to.

Several carts will be brought during the expedition, including supply carts and more grimly, a cart for dead bodies. It was disturbing to know that the Scouts carried along carts especially for the dead, meaning they expected fatal casualties and absolute deaths for each expedition they carried out.

The 104th cadet corps newbies appeared disturbed at the existence of a morgue cart, but you and Mario were not as unfazed. As doctors, you often dealt with morgues and dead bodies. As dark as it may seem, it was just the reality and nature of your occupation.

Besides the ODM gear and sword shafts, you will also be carrying a first-aid kit attached to your body in a backpack. This was to ensure that in case the medical supplies in the cart are destroyed or gone, you will at least have supplies of your own. Gosh, as if the sword shafts aren't already heavy enough on its own, you thought.

Hearing the formation plans, Levi releases the tension in his body, knowing that at least you were in one of the safest areas of the formation. Throughout the rest of the meeting, he kept looking at you, scanning for any signs of nervousness. Surprisingly though, you looked perfectly calm and you seemed to be taking in the information pretty well.