Chapter 28: Round Two

Chapter 28 - Round Two

You woke up in cold sweat. Your heart pounded uncomfortably hard and images of last night's dream came flooding into your mind once again.

You had dreamt of severing a man's head with your blades. You dreamt of throwing a grenade and watching as it blew a soldier's intestines to bits. Then, you dreamt of stealing records and getting caught by Erwin.

You're not sure if you cried or screamed in your sleep, but when your eyes sprung wide open and you sat up, Levi was looking over you with an expression of heavy concern. It was difficult to even register what was happening.

"Look at me," he instructed, his hands clamped on both sides of your face.

You tried to focus on his face, but all you could see was the man's severed neck, his blood pooling on the concrete ground and seeping into your uniform. You opened your mouth to speak, but nothing came out.

"Hey, deep breaths."

Your vision started to clear, and you suddenly remembered to breathe.

"Levi?" you gasped. You started to look around frantically, trying to remember where you were.

He took your hand and took hold of your chin, drawing your eyes back to him. "I said look at me," he commanded.

Your eyes shifted back to Levi. That's right, you're safe in his room. You must have fallen asleep here after what happened.

"Sorry," you trembled, "I think I had a nightmare."

Levi's eyebrows remain furrowed in worry as he lifts the blanket over your body again to cover you up. Right, you were still stark naked.

"I'll get you some water, be right back," he said, getting up from his bed. You looked out the window and saw signs of sunlight flickering through the window of his bedroom. Was it morning already?

Levi came back into the room not long after with a glass of water. You drank the water and started to calm down. He then picks up your clothes that were scattered around the bed and the floor, and gently lays them next to you.

"Put them on. You'll get cold," he said.

You put on your clothes and so did he. Afterwards, he makes you lie down on the bed again and pulls you close to him.

"Sorry for waking you up. Have I been crying or screaming in my sleep?" you mumbled against his chest.

Levi shakes his head. "You didn't wake me up. And no you didn't cry or scream. Just kept tossing and turning, but you sounded really scared. Have you been getting these nightmares often?"

"Yeah, ever since Trost. Or ever since joining the Survey Corps probably."

"I had a lot of nightmares since joining the corps as well," Levi caresses his thumb on your cheeks.

"How did you cope with it?"

"Sleeping with a nightlight helps. Then at least when I wake up, I won't be surrounded with blinding darkness. Helps me calm down."

You recalled one of your first instances of meeting Levi, back in his office when you were still aiding him with his sleep schedule. You remembered him telling you that he slept with a nightlight on. Now you know why he does so.

"Guess I'll need to leave a light on in my bedroom then," you muttered.

"You can stay here with me," Levi said plainly.

"To sleep in your bedroom every night?"

Levi nods.

You feel a blush creeping up your cheeks, not expecting him to suggest such an idea. It already felt like you were moving in with him.