Chapter 24: A Manipulator's Rumination

Chapter 24 - A Manipulator's Rumination

You heeded Levi's advice and got a checkup immediately. Mario was the one who took care of your medical checkup, and you made small talk with him as he tended to your bruises, giving you updates on the Military Doctor recruits. He's been training them intensively while you were gone, and you're relieved to hear they got to use their ODM gear in the city today. It's good to give them some exposure to a real battle and get used to the chaos of the war.

Apparently, you've strained the muscles in your hands from overexerting yourself with the ODM gear, blades, and rifles. Mario also found a gash on your left arm, which you never noticed before. All the adrenaline from the battle must have drowned out any pain you felt from your injuries.

"What's up with the Captain?" Mario asked.

"Not sure," you muttered weakly. "I think he's worrying himself too much over me."

"Well, that's something we don't want anyone else finding out. The Scouts will start gossiping once they hear Captain Levi's actually worried about someone here, let alone a girl."

"I think it's probably something worth worrying about," you sighed.

"There's something else you haven't told me, right?" Mario raised his brow. "You don't look okay."

You nodded, but didn't say anything else.

"You want to talk about it?" he asked.

"Not now," you sighed. "Maybe tomorrow, okay?"

Mario nodded and continued tending to your injuries, sensing that you wanted to be left alone. Something really terrible must have happened to you and he didn't dare pry it out of you right after you just got back.

"In the meantime, can you take over for me and make sure Historia is alright? She seems to have strained her wrist a little and Levi will never let me hear the end of it if I start working again."

"Okay."

"Hange as well, she was shot in the arm yesterday and she needs her wound disinfected and her bandage replaced."

"Alright."

"Oh and Eren, please make sure his forehead wound is all healed up and make sure he's not injured after today's–"

"Hey," Mario interrupted you, placing a gloved finger on your lips. "The patient you need to worry about is yourself. The others will manage with those minor injuries and I will look after them, okay?"

You were about to protest, but Mario cut you off again.

"I don't know what happened out there while you were gone, but I can tell you're not okay. Don't think I won't notice your puffy eyes, I know you've been crying," Mario sighed and you jerked up a little at this comment. "Just rest, you deserve it and you deserve to think about yourself for once. The Scouts don't have any more expeditions coming up any time soon so you can relax for now."

You let your shoulders droop and relax, and you nodded like a child listening to a mother's nagging. Mario huffed and bandaged you up while still rambling on and on about how you need to shower and catch up on sleep.

You looked around the ward hazily. It's packed with soldiers and your recruits were all busy tending to the injured Scouts. Your eyes fell on Luca on the far edge of the room, tending to a black-haired woman. Is that Mikasa?

The sight of Luca brought a sickening churn in your stomach as it had once again reminded you of your mission, one you were planning to carry out sooner or later. The fact that he was still here waiting for you was a heavy reminder of your important task. He must have gotten permission to stay posted to the Survey Corps ward so that you can easily hand the copies over to him once you've obtained them.