Chapter 26: Red-handed

Chapter 26 - Red-handed

At that moment, you knew you were fucked.

Levi Ackerman was staring at you with his graphite eyes, eyebrows furrowed.

Suddenly, it felt like you were snapped out of your limbo, dragged back into your current reality a sickening force. Your heart pounded violently. You feel like you're in your own body again, logic and rationality suddenly coming back to you. What the fuck had you been doing?

You realized you were still holding on to the medical records and instinctively, you brought them behind your back, hoping he hasn't seen them yet. When the realization dawned on you that you just stole and copied the records, you felt like throwing up.

Seeing Levi in front of you, it felt like your entire world below you had opened up and was about to swallow you.

However, the last strand of rationality left in you decided to not assume the worst. Perhaps there was a chance he was here for another reason.

Levi's eyes were cold, showing no sign of warmth in them. His intimidating demeanor made you feel small and weak, and you could almost feel your hands tremble and drop the documents.

"Captain?" you managed to squeak out. "What are you doing so early?"

"I could ask you the same thing," he spoke coldly.

"I was just checking on some things in my office, I left something here yesterday," you came up with the most reasonable explanation in a split second. "What about you?"

"What's in your right hand?" he ignored your question to ask one himself, eyes piercing into yours. Shit, so he had seen it after all. 

His gaze was so sharp and guileless that you felt like he could tear right into your soul. There's no hiding what's behind your back, you didn't conceal the original records in an envelope or anything. You surely didn't expect to run into Levi at this ungodly hour, and you were planning to return it to the records room immediately.

But this? There's no way out of this.

When you didn't speak fast enough, Levi took a step closer to you. Instinctively, you took a step backwards.

"I said, what's in your right hand?" he hissed.

"I—I was–" you stammered, your face growing pale. "I just wanted to take a look at my father's records again, Captain. I grew really anxious last night as I couldn't remember most of the things I read through yesterday."

"Was I not clear enough about the rules?" Levi said quietly, an unmistakable edge to his voice. "You broke in the room without my permission and took the records after I told you not to."

Your eyes widened at the fact that he knew someone had broken in the room despite your reverse lockpicking. Did he know you were going to come back there all along?

"I'm sorry," you apologized immediately. "I was planning to return them right away after I took another look."

"I didn't take you for someone who knew how to pick locks. Where did you learn the trick from?"

"A vigilante patient from the Underground taught me," you told him honestly as you discreetly hid the bobby pin your pocket. You wondered how Levi was able to tell the lock had been picked, but it seems like he read your mind first.

"I lived my entire life in the Underground, lock picking has become second nature to me and I've seen all different kinds of techniques. I can tell when a lock has been picked," his eyes grew steely. "Your reverse lock picking technique was sloppy, it was so obvious the lock had been tampered with."