Chapter 25: Your Gamble

Chapter 25 - Your Gamble

You allowed yourself to pretend as if you were in deep thought and pondering over Levi's words before speaking.

"There is something that I've been really curious about. Well, I'm not sure if it will help much, but I want to check if there's something in my father's history that could have contributed to the development of this disease. Maybe a lifestyle factor, or a medicine he took in the past that triggered the onset. Then maybe I could identify a pattern that will help me figure out the nature of this disease, or even better, lead to a cure."

Levi was leaning slightly closer to you, looking intrigued. You took this as a green light to keep going.

"I was thinking about checking my father's medical records. I don't even know where this would lead to, but it's worth a try."

"Are the medical records with him?"

You shook your head. "Unfortunately not. But I do have a clue on where it might be."

"Where?"

You furrowed your eyebrows and placed a hand on your chin. "Since I found out that my father and grandfather were Scouts, I actually thought that maybe the Survey Corps might have traces of their medical records. Then maybe I could find something useful there about their medical history."

"That makes sense." Levi nodded slightly. "I'm sure the Survey Corps doctors in the past, or their commander, stored their records somewhere from those years ago."

You feel your heart flutter again, feeling relieved and giddy that Levi was taking this in better than you anticipated. Maybe he'd let you borrow those records after all. "Yeah, the problem is, I'm not exactly sure where to find them."

Levi's eyes shifted upwards, as if searching for a memory. "If I'm not mistaken, we do have a room where we keep records of our Scouts, including medical records."

Your eyes lit up excitedly. "Really? So my father and grandfather's records might still be here?"

"Yes, I'm almost sure. Though Erwin would know more about this than I do."

"Oh no, I wouldn't want to trouble Commander Erwin any more. I've caused him enough trouble in the past with Johanne and Kepler," you shook your head. "Could I take a look at the records?"

Levi furrowed his brows and you felt your heart drop a little, taking this as not a good sign. "Technically, no one is allowed in to access past Scouts records. A breach of confidentiality, as Erwin mentioned to me once. There's also a risk of documents getting lost, stolen, or falling into the wrong hands."

"Is there any way possible I could take a look at his records, just for a while?"

"Not unless you ask Erwin."

Your eyes widened and your heart nearly dropped, you were entering dangerous territory. "No, please don't bring this up to the Commander! I really don't want to trouble him, I'd feel bad if I did."

Levi was a little surprised, looking at you with raised brows.

"Promise me not to tell Commander Erwin? I don't want to make a bad impression on him, especially since he just entrusted the role of Section Commander. He has way too many matters to handle right now and besides, I want to keep my family matters private. You're the only one in the Scouts who knows about this right now."

"Alright, promise."

You relaxed a little and let out a shaky breath. That was close. "Thank you. What about you? Are you allowed to take me to the room to see the records?"