chapter 69

The Wuwan people arrived at the perfect timing, just as the thunderstorm was about to hit that day.

Yuan Li didn't want the Wuwan people to enter Ji County, so he brought his men to another vacant farmhouse on the outskirts. They set up tables, chairs, drinks, and built a bonfire in the open space of the farmhouse.

To prevent sudden heavy rain, Yuan Li also set up several rainproof canopies at the location where the Wuwan people would be feasting.

People who saw these canopies were momentarily stunned.

He Lang tugged Yang Zhongfa's sleeve and gestured in confusion, "Lord Yang, is Governor Yuan Li setting up these canopies because he's afraid that it will rain?"

Yang Zhongfa was drenched in sweat due to the sweltering weather. He fanned himself with his sleeves and was also puzzled by the canopies. Without much thought, he replied, "It seems that the Governor is hoping for rain."

"Heh," He Lang sighed, "The spring rain is late, and the ground is cracking. If it doesn't rain soon, we'll face a shortage of food and our warhorses will have no fodder to eat."

After speaking, he looked up at the weather. It was dry and unusually oppressive, with sand particles swirling in the wind. It didn't seem like rain was coming anytime soon.

Alas, it seemed that Governor Yuan's efforts with the canopies were in vain. Rain couldn't be easily anticipated like this.

As they discussed the matter, a heavy feeling weighed on their hearts. Yang Zhongfa shook his head and followed Chu Hechao to take their respective seats.

The Wuwan people had originally come to pay their respects to the Governor, but Chu Hechao brought two high-ranking generals with him out of concern that the Wuwan people might cause trouble for Yuan Li.

Yuan Li's own subordinates were all present at the feast, including Zheng Rong and Zhou Gongdan, who had recently joined Yuan Li's side. They were seated at the lowest positions.

Yuan Li sat alone at the high seat, and this time, Chu Hechao occupied the top left seat, which was the most honored position in social gatherings, as seating arrangements in the Northern Zhou Dynasty followed the principle of left supremacy.

Not long after, Gulichi and four Wuwan leaders arrived with their personal guards.

Before they could approach, they were intercepted by Gong Bin and Lu Hui, both of whom were centurions in Yuan Li's personal guard. They wore stern expressions and spoke with a firm tone, instructing the Wuwan people to remove their armor and weapons.

The Wuwan people exchanged glances and complied, taking off their armor and weapons.

Gong Bin and Lu Hui added, "Your personal guards cannot all enter."

Da Dan furrowed his brow and seemed ready to get angry. "What do you mean? We came to pay a visit to the Governor, not to beg for forgiveness. Is this how the Governor treats his guests?"

However, the blocking guards showed no fear and remained steadfast. "Please follow our orders, Your Excellencies."

Tensions escalated between the two sides.

The Wuwan people had come this time to establish their authority in front of the newly appointed Governor. But just by observing the resolute posture of the Governor's personal guards, they could tell that this Governor was not someone to be bullied with a weak character.

Gulichi, who had remained silent, raised his hand and left most of his guards outside, bringing only about ten sturdy warriors inside.

From a distance, Yuan Li could see their figures.