chapter 76

After the conscription began, there was a shortage of weapons.

The production of weapons required iron, but the iron mines in Youzhou still belonged to Zhong Ji. Yuan Li didn't have the audacity to directly claim them for himself. Once the conscription was on track, he prepared his troops and planned to go to Yanzhou to eradicate the Yishan Army.

Upon hearing the news, Zhong Ji was extremely excited. He hurried back overnight from Zhang Mi's place and requested to accompany the troops to eliminate the bandits.

Yuan Li knew that this was his inner struggle, so he assigned ten elite guards to protect him and nodded in agreement to his request.

Zhong Ji deeply bowed to Yuan Li and walked alone to the courtyard under the loquat tree.

The loquat tree had grown green leaves and tender branches with the arrival of spring, swaying gently in the dim sunset.

Zhong Ji looked up at the branches and leaves as the lingering sunlight pierced through the gaps, illuminating him.

He thought of the appearance and laughter of his wife and daughter, and the grim scene before their deaths. Unconsciously, tears flowed down his face.

Finally, finally, he could avenge his wife and daughter!

Five days later, Wu Kai set off with his troops towards Yishan in Yanzhou.

This operation was, after all, not a desirable task since it encroached on the territory of the Governor of Yanzhou. Therefore, they kept a low profile and only a few officials from Jixian vaguely knew about their nocturnal departure.

Half a month after Wu Kai and Zhong Ji went to eliminate the bandits, Cai Ji, the county governor of Guangyang, suddenly invited Yuan Li to a banquet.

Yuan Li was somewhat surprised when he received the invitation. Holding the invitation card, he pondered over Cai Ji's motive for inviting him.

Usually, Cai Ji and Yuan Li had nothing to do with each other. Cai Ji had suffered a loss at his hands and would never seek his help unless it was necessary.

It was the first time Cai Ji had invited Yuan Li, and he couldn't ignore his face. He couldn't figure out his motive, so he decided to attend the banquet.

Upon arriving at the venue, Yuan Li realized that Cai Ji not only invited him but also invited Chu Hechao.

The man stood tall in front of the table, with a few guards standing behind him. The elderly Cai Ji stood beside him, bowing respectfully to Chu Hechao.

As soon as he saw Yuan Li from a distance, the man's calm face twitched slightly, and he turned to Cai Ji, asking, "You invited the Governor?"

Cai Ji cheerfully replied, "The Governor has taken care of me in many ways, so I naturally can't forget about the Governor."

Chu Hechao didn't believe his words and sneered. He sat down in his seat, still holding his imposing stance, and looked at Yuan Li as he approached.

Cai Ji personally guided Yuan Li to his seat and warmly said, "Governor, it's truly an honor for me that you could attend."

Yuan Li exchanged a few polite words with him and was then arranged to sit across from Chu Hechao.

Only then did Chu Hechao speak, saying, "Governor."

Yuan Li remained calm, nodding slightly. "General."

Cai Ji, sitting at the top, looked thoughtfully at the two of them and clapped his hands.

Upon hearing the sound, well-trained servants entered one after another, placing dishes and fine wines on the table. Shortly after, a group of beautiful Hu dance performers dressed in light and graceful attire entered, dancing with exotic charm to the accompaniment of music.