Chapter Twenty Six - The Scandal in Belgravia - Part VII

For the next couple hours after John comes back, we all contribute towards setting up - including dad who has broken out of his sulking and has returned to a festive mood.

I've never been to a Christmas party, so I don't know what to expect but where there's people there's usually ridicule - usually from us.

"Ooh." I turn around to see Mrs Hudson bringing up a pair of antler headbands. "Looks lovely up here." I see her gaze up to the window where the fairy lights are strung before my gaze drops to the street outside.

"It's still snowing," I notice and John curses.

"I hope it clears by tomorrow," he says, also looking out of the window, "I have to be in bloody Reading tomorrow to see Harry."

"Pound in the jar, Doctor Watson," I smirk, nodding towards John's 'swear jar' on the table. Beside it is dad's 'rude jar' and my 'excessive showoff jar'. We take Mrs Hudson out for dinner when all are filled.

"Oh God she's here," John says drawing away from the window again and coming over to me. "Be nice." I shrug and watch in amusement as he hurries downstairs to open the door for his dearly beloved.

"Oh Sophie dear," Mrs Hudson says, calling me over to where she's perched herself in John's chair, "I bought these for you and Sherlock."

"Aw thanks," I say, taking them and tossing them out of the living room window so they fall just behind John's girlfriend.

We've had a lot more Christmas cards this year - they clutter every surface available. There are a few more decorations up as well than we would usually have, though the absence of the tree is painfully noticable.

"Just through there," I hear John say from the landing, gesturing for a tall dark-haired woman in about her thirties through to the living room. "Can I get you anything?"

"Wine please, John," she smiles, "if you have any."

"I'll have a glass too John," Mrs Hudson calls. "Hello dear."

"Hi," she replies awkwardly, sitting down hesitantly, aware that I'm staring at her.

This one is the third since Sarah and to be honest, she is out of John's league by quite a bit. Her complexion suggests indoor work, but the way she holds herself doesn't point to an office job. Judging by her short-heeled shoes, her job requires her to do a lot of standing yet still look professional. When she talks, she speaks in an intelligable accent meaning that it is essential for her to convey herself clearly. From all of this, I can tell she is a primary school teacher - younger years going on her soft features and kind attitude.

"Here you go Jeanette," John says passing her a glass before handing Mrs Hudson another.

"Thanks," she smiles, pulling a small, wrapped box from her bag. "Merry christmas," he takes the gift from her and kisses her cheek. I roll my eyes.

"Lestrade," dad says as I hear a car pull up outside and sure enough, Lestrade appears at the door just a minute later.

"Alright?" he smiles, holding out a bag of presents which I take. "Merry Christmas."

"Hi mate," John smiles, pouring up another glass of wine. "Drink?"

"That'd be great, cheers," Lestrade replies, taking the glass, then, noticing John's girlfriend, walks over to introduce himself.

"Any chance of a song Sherlock?" asks Mrs Hudson gesturing towards the violin in the corner. "Something christmassy?" I raise an eyebrow at him and he returns a weary look as he holds the instrument to his chin.

I begin to sing as dad begins to play. It's something we've tried recently in the few weeks that we've been without a case and, surprisingly, we've found I have a half-decent alto singing voice which I use now to accompany dad's rendition of 'We Wish You a Merry Christmas'. Lestrade whistles in appreciation as we finish.