Nostalgia

Dedicated to Contests-Rants....

"All I wish is to go back to my nostalgic past and never return to the present with nostalgic memories"

Sitting on the soft sands of the shore and staring at the never ending blues, my soul sails to my island of nostalgic memories........  

One fine winter evening, a stroll around the park brought a beautiful person to my life. Enjoying the cool breeze and the lovely sight of flowers I sat under a lonely tree. I was immersed in reading my favorite novel when a sound of laughter caught my attention. I shifted my gaze to the source, to find a handsome guy smiling and laughing with a cute little girl. After placing a soft kiss on his cheeks, the girl ran away. A small smile appeared on my face looking at the cute scene. He looked at me, smiled gently and left the place. After spending a nice time in the park, I returned to my room and slept peacefully remembering him with the kid.

Few days later, I met him in my college. We exchanged a simple smile and I went to my class. Our professor introduced a new member and I was so shocked to see him. He took a seat near me and extended his hand for a handshake. Initially we had small talks and mostly my classes were spent with him being near me. He was totally different from the other guys of the college. He was neither a playboy nor a nerd. He was so friendly and charming. As days progressed, we got to know each other so well and we exchanged our numbers. We grew comfortable with each other and shared a lot of things. He turned out to be my best friend.He took care of me as a family. He never let the bad guys near me. He was so protective of me. Though we never spent much time together outside the college, we remained the closest friends. I started trusting him and I liked him so much. Years passed and our bond grew much stronger. He always wanted me to come to his room and share a drink. But I was not able to fulfill his one wish till now. I felt so bad for it. He was always there for me when I was hurt. His caring words always comforted me.

Our final days of college neared and with each passing day I had the fear of losing him. In the course of 5 years, I became so attached to him and the mere thought of going away from him made my heart bleed. I started missing him so much. The last two weeks brought so many changes in my life. We went out often, spending more time together and creating a lot of memories. We went for dinner and a long drive on a chilly night. The long drive made me realize my feelings for him. For the first time, I felt different when I hugged him. I hugged him tight and rested my head on his shoulders not willing for this moment to end. He drove his bike in silence resting his head on top of mine and letting the cool breeze caress us. Before dropping me off, he gently kissed my cheeks and gave a sad smile.

At that time, I didn't know he felt the same way how I felt. I wanted to let him know my love, but the fear of losing his friendship shut me. I always thought he saw me only as a friend and nothing more. On the last day of our college, I went to his room as he wished, to bid my goodbye. I was happy I could fulfill at least one of his wishes. We spoke about our days together, our families and some random things. Throughout our chats he was holding my hands and never let it go. I enjoyed his soft and warm touch and sat in silence leaning on his shoulders. Time flew so fast and the time came for me to leave. Silent tears flowed freely thinking of the fun we had together. He hugged me tight and comforted me. More tears flowed when realization hit me. He hated to see me cry or to see me sad. Wiping away the tears, he kissed me. My first kiss from my first love. He kissed me with all the love and care. I hugged him back and kissed him not wanting this moment to slip by. With a final hug and kiss, and a promise to be there for each other forever in times of happiness and sorrows, we bid our farewell and parted our ways. And I never knew that was going to be my first and last kiss.

As promised we both were in touch. My heart thumped in happiness every time I heard his voice. I wished to see him and hug him. Alas, I couldn't. He was so far. Few months later, he told me he loves someone else and he was going to propose her. He told me to pray for him and cut the call. I was shattered. I felt a piercing pain in my heart and I knew I was too late. I cried out aloud as I let a precious gem slip off my hand. I prayed for happiness and he happily married the girl he loved. And about us, we still remain the closest friends as promised.

And now sitting on the shores, clutching the chain he gifted me, my eyes floods with tears as my brain is clouded with the memories of our times together, my first kiss, his hugs, his caring touch and my heart aches in pain. I always regret not realizing my love for him before. And I chide myself for being such a blind fool. The comforting arm once I had when I was upset, is not there for me now when I need it the most. Like everyday, I cry on the shores of the sea and let myself free..

.....................................................

A/N: HOPE YOU LIKE THIS.... PLEASE DO VOTE AND COMMENT........