Chapter 11 - Playing House

Nico

"Is she with you?" Andres asks as soon as I answer the phone, his voice dripping with concern.

"Yeah, she's here," I respond calmly.

"Can I talk to her?" he asks politely, and it sketches me out. He's never been polite with me before.

"She doesn't want to talk to you. She's really upset."

"Can you bring her home then? I would go get her, but I'm sure she wouldn't come with me willingly."

"She wants to stay here. I'll take her to school tomorrow. You can talk to her then."

"Are you out of your mind, Durant? No fucking way."

"I don't think you get to decide that. It's what she wants."

He sighs heavily through the phone. "Look man, I don't know what to do anymore."

Is he really asking me for advice?

"Well you can start by actually having a conversation with her when she asks you to. Also, don't let pricks she doesn't want to talk to into your apartment."

"She told you that?"

"Yeah. She told me what he did to her, too. It was pretty shitty of you to let him in."

"I don't know what you're talking about, but he's her ex-boyfriend. Why wouldn't I let him in?"

"I don't care who the hell he is. He hurt Olivia, so don't let him in next time. You should be kicking his ass for what he did to her."

"What are you going on about, Durant? You think you know better than me?"

"It's not my place to tell you. Just talk to her tomorrow, okay? I promise I'll take care of her."

"So now I'm not good enough to take care of her and you are?" he says angrily.

"I know enough to not be making decisions for her."

He doesn't respond for a while and the line turns silent. "She better sleep in her own room or I'm kicking your ass tomorrow," he eventually says.

"Fine," I say rolling my eyes.

"Fuck you, Durant."

I'm about to reply when I realize he hung up. Well, at least it's an improvement over this morning.

I head over to the kitchen and grab a gel pack from the freezer for Olivia's wrist. I also pick up her bag on the way back to my room.

I'm still in shock that she's even here. That she just showed up at my doorstep the way she did. In all the time I dated Ana, I don't think she ever did that. I was the one who would always go to her. Yeah, her parents were strict, but I still can't remember even one time where she just came over unannounced because she wanted to see me.

The look on Olivia's face as I opened the door just blew me away. She wanted to see me. She was excited to see me. She wanted me to hold her and just be with me. If I ever needed some affirmation, that was it right there.

When I step back in my room, her face lights up in the same manner as before. It's almost too much to handle. She smiles appreciatively as I hand her the gel pack.

"Well I've got good news and bad news," I tell her, sitting next to her on my bed.

"Bad news first," she responds right away.

"There's a definitive chance your brother might kick my ass tomorrow."

"Does that mean I can stay? Is that the good news?" she asks excitedly.