Chapter 22 - Back to Us

Nico

The flight to DC went surprisingly smooth. I had been so nervous about how Olivia would react today since I thought the last thing she wanted was to be traveling on her dad's birthday, but she's been surprisingly fine so far.

I tried to tell her we could fly out a day later instead, but she said she didn't want me spending any more money on her since there would be change fees involved, and it wasn't worth it because we would be losing an entire day. Olivia also ended up having a nice family dinner with her mom and Ruiz yesterday, and they cooked her dad's favorite dishes together in his honor - something they hadn't done in a long time. I almost choked up when she told me about it, knowing how much that meant to her.

We only had a minor incident as we were boarding the flight. The asshole attendants stopped Olivia for a so-called random security check and pulled her aside. Random my ass. They didn't even let me go with her, and kept telling me to stand in different places while I waited for her and complained to everybody. I almost ripped their heads off. It really got me in the worst mood because they were obviously conspiring to ruin our trip before it even started.

Thankfully, Olivia thought my reaction was endearing for some reason and said I looked like a sexy grizzly bear trying to defend her. Her words, not mine.

So naturally I calmed down after that, although I definitely gave the attendants the stink eye, and may or may not have gone on a Twitter rant about the airline when Olivia wasn't looking.

We watched a movie together, and then Olivia spent the rest of the time trying to read one of her romance books while I looked over her shoulder during the steamy parts. I was mostly unsuccessful since she kept shooing me away whenever she caught me, but what she doesn't know is that I was only doing it so I could see the blush on her cheeks. Plus, even I can admit, it never hurts to pick up a few things.

But if I had to describe her mood today in one word it would be contemplative. Every time she looked out the airplane window, I knew she was thinking about her dad. Even now as we wait in the baggage claim for our suitcases, her thoughts seem to be somewhere else.

"Ready?" I ask her after I've collected our suitcases.

She nods at me with a slight smile, and I lead her through customs. Sofia and Adrian are already waiting for us on the other side. I got a text from her as soon as we landed that they were parking.

I can't wait to see them and for them to meet Olivia. She walks hesitantly beside me and I know that she's nervous, although she has no reason to be.

"Don't worry, they'll love you," I tell her. I know for a fact they already do, just for the simple reason that she's with me.

I spot Adrian first. He's not hard to miss because of his height. Although he's currently locked in a make-out session with my sister and I inwardly cringe. I had almost forgotten about these two.

Sofia playfully pushes him back and turns around to directly meet my eyes. Call it twin telepathy or whatever you want, but sometimes it even freaks me out. She yells my name excitedly and comes running towards me, crashing into me before I even have time to let go of my suitcase.

I laugh as I pick her up into a hug. She looks genuinely happy, and it gives me such relief to see her this way. The truth is I haven't had to worry about her since she got together with Adrian, but seeing her smile so widely is reassuring.

"Looking good, sis," I tell her as I set her down on her feet. She's definitely put on some more weight since the last time I saw her, which is a good thing considering how much she had lost before.