12. Settling For A Lost Cause

A/N "I may have had my eyes travel down your body too many times. And I may have looked down at your lips on certain occasions. But, let me just say, it was a sight to see."

NICOLE GOLD

I look over at Drew, one more time for good measures, and his eyes still haven't taken themselves off of me.

He seemed to look as if he was having an internal debate with himself. Or maybe his glare really was directed towards me.

Probably the second option.

You see, earlier, I ran into his old 'friend' Liam at Target. The boy with brown eyes, and dark hair? The guy I ran into at the party? Yeah, him.

And let me just say, Drew wasn't happy to know that I gave him my number and invited to hang out with him one day.

In my defense, I didn't know that Drew didn't like him that much. In fact, he declared that he hated him.

"Oh, come on, Sour Puss. Stop being so sour," I playfully shove his shoulder, giving him my award-winning smile.

His lips twitch in a grin, "Shut up. I don't like Liam."

I nod, "I figured that as much. But, why?"

"Personal issues," he shrugged.

I glare, "Fine. Don't tell me. I'll just go hang out with him right now."

I launch myself off the couch, but I am immediately grabbed back by a strong hand gripping my wrist.

"Don't." Was his stealthy reply.

I narrow my eyes, "Tell me why."

He sighs, removing his grip and running his hand through his hair, "He's a bad man, Nicole."

I give him a nudge of my hand, "I don't think so."

"Of course you don't!" he outbursts, "You don't know him like I do. He's seeking 'revenge' towards me.. And I think he knows how to get back at me."

"How?" I ask.

"Through you." He looks up at me.

My eyes widen as I flinch back, and snatch my hand away from him, "Why.. Why me?"

"I've gotten close to you, in some ways. Everything I touch, or get close to, he destroys it. He's destroyed many things in my life. And I'm not going to let him destroy you."

"You're lucky I gave him the wrong number then," I scoff.

"You.. You did?" He looks at me, tilting his head.

"Of course I did! I'm not stupid. I saw the way you stared at him. Gave me the chills," I shudder.

Unexpectedly, I feel strong arms wrap around my torso. Drew's strong, manly smell emits off of him, onto me. I welcome the gesture, and pull him in closer to me, wrapping my arms around his neck.

"Glad you trust me, Kitten," he whispers.

"Of course I would. Why wouldn't I?"

He tenses, slightly pulling back, looking at me.

I tilt my head, "What? Was it something I said?"

Drew continues to look at me, and he slowly places his hand on my cheek. His thumb starts to rub circles, as his face moves closer.

"You're pretty up close," he whispers.

I look into his dark, blue eyes, "You're handsome up close," I breathily answer.