XV. Dedication

Training was not the only thing that (F/N) did those past five days.

Two days after his drunken scene at the mess hall that evening ( which he still couldn't remember, unfortunately ), Levi noticed that there was something different about (F/N). It all happened right after the day she supposedly called in sick.

That morning, he woke up and found his breakfast ( a bowl of hot soup, three loaves of bread, and a cup of warm milk ) on the bedside - table. He scratched his head in confusion upon seeing it, not to mention the fresh towels which were lain at the foot of his bed. He got up, ate his meal without hesitation, and got dressed.

When he came out of the bedroom, he found Hange sitting on the sofa drinking her early morning coffee. Apparently, she was an hour early. She was reading some documents and writing stuff on her notebook at the same time. She looked awfully busy.

"Where is (L/N)?" he asked, his voice sounding so foreign, even to himself.

"Training." she said without looking up from her work. "Erwin gave her the approval. Expedition's in two weeks. I don't want her to become Titan bait. Maybe you do, whatever,..."

Levi clicked his tongue and went to his chair. "You don't have to remind me, shitty - eyes."

Hange said nothing. She just went on working.

The mad scientist was acting strange. What's up with her this day? "Were you the one who prepared my breakfast?"

"No. (F/N) did." Hange took a sip of her coffee.

Oh,... "How about the towels?"

"Not me."

Okay,... "Were you the one who cleaned the office?" Levi was looking at the room, his cold, steel, blue eyes darting from corner to corner. Now, he could honestly say that this room had never been so pristine.

"I'm just (F/N)'s replacement for five hours." Hange said, finishing her coffee in one full gulp. She placed the cup down on a coaster on the side table. "I'm not dedicated enough to go as far as preparing you breakfast in bed, getting you some clean towels, or cleaning this room." She finally looked at him through her wide - rimmed spectacles, her face emanating complete seriousness. "I'm not (F/N), Levi."

He narrowed his eyes at her. "I know that, idiot."

"Then, quit asking and just start your work."

"What about the antidote?"

Hange briefly stopped writing for a few seconds. After that, she ripped a page off her notebook and threw it on the trash can, also prepared by (F/N) before her training. "It's gonna be okay."

"What did you just say?"

Hange didn't say anything else. She remained like that for three more hours, and it honestly annoyed the hell out of him. Maybe she's on her period, or something like that,...

Approximately four hours later at the hour of eleven in the morning, someone knocked at the door.

"Come in." Hange said before Levi could even say it, himself.

The door opened, and in came (F/N) in full Scouting Legion uniform. There was also a white scarf around her neck. 

What the hell was that scarf for?!

She closed the door and saluted the two officers.

Hange stretched, stood up from the sofa, and gathered all her things. She patted (F/N)'s shoulder and waved back at Levi without saying another word. She closed the door, leaving only Levi and (F/N) inside.

Levi watched as (F/N) went closer to his desk and saluted.

"I will assist you with the documents now, sir." the girl said. She was not directly looking at him.

He noticed how the girl looked a lot paler than usual. Hange said that she was sick. Maybe she's not even well, yet.

But, why would he care? It's just (F/N) (L/N)!

(F/N) (L/N),...

"I want precision, (L/N)." he said, handing her half of the new stack that Erwin gave him. How in the world could Erwin not run out of documents to fill out?! "You know what to do."

"Yes, sir." she said, took the documents and her own writing materials on the table, and took the same spot on the floor to begin her work.

Levi raised an eyebrow. Hmm, (L/N) was finally learning her place in the world, huh?

They went on working for an hour. At the clock's strike of exactly twelve in the afternoon, (F/N) stood up and faced the Captain.

"Request permission to go out, sir." she was saluting.

Levi just waved her off unceremoniously without even saying a word. She closed the door and went out. Fifteen minutes later, she came back, bearing a tray with that day's lunch. She placed it on his table without saying a word, went back to the floor, and resumed working.

The Captain was mildly amused. Was this for him? 

Well, of course, it's for me,...

(F/N) did the same for dinner that evening, and before she was dismissed, she asked him again for a permission to leave the room. And when she came back, she was holding a cup of warm beverage. She placed it his table and asked him politely if she could be dismissed.

Levi couldn't see any reason for him not to, so he just shooed the girl off and sighed. She closed the door and finally left.

The man stretched his arms, deciding to take a bath. But, he wanted to see what (F/N) had brought him, first. He took the cup and looked at the swirling liquid inside.

Black tea.

He took a sip, careful not to get burned,...

It was,...

How in the fucking hell did she know?

The next day, the same routine occurred, with Hange in the morning and (F/N) for the rest of the day. She continuously cleaned the office, brought him fresh towels for his shower, brought him meals from breakfast to dinner, did the paper works flawlessly, and prepared him black tea in the evening before being dismissed. The routine went on for five days, and he was actually quite impressed that the old, whiny and weak (F/N) was completely gone. 

But, something felt really lacking on the girl, he just couldn't pinpoint what. He couldn't even find out a single thing about her,...

Not until that day when Petra's father finally decided to visit not him, but her.