Chapter 16: A violet-eyed grandpa

After I had gotten a hold of myself again I eased up from the floor and walked towards the sink. I splashed cold water in my face and took a look in the mirror. My skin was a little pale and my eyes weren’t glowing with humor as they use to.

Great, I had only been here for a few hours and I was already turning into a fucking wreck. I pulled my hand through my hair trying to style it so it wouldn’t hang down in my eyes. I should really cut it because I was beginning to look like a homeless grandpa. Despite everything I smiled at that because the image of me as a violet-eyed grandpa was too freaking hilarious.

I sighed at my smiling face in the mirror and then I turned to walk back to the bedroom but before I could do so my eyes landed on something beautiful. I had to prevent myself from laughing and jumping up and down in delight. What I was looking at was a small window but it was big enough for me to climb out through. “Finally some luck.” I thought walking silently towards it.

I unhooked the hatch and pushed the window open, looking down toward the ground under me. Now when we were at the third floor it was even higher than it had been the last time I tried this (maybe twenty minutes ago). Only this time I wasn’t being chased and I could actually make out something that looked like ivy just outside the window to the left. It must be at least sixteen to twenty-two- yard down but with the help of the ivy I could probably make it down a bit so the drop wouldn’t be that far.

At least that was what I hoped for when I took a deep breath and climbed out through the small window. I got a hold of the green plant and tested it. It felt strong and before I had time to second-guess my plan I let go of the window and took a hold with both hands around the ivy. I slowly started to ease myself down with a tight grip around the vine.

It didn’t go very fast but after what felt like forever the vine suddenly ended. I cast a quick glance over my shoulder and grimaced when I saw that it was still around ten yards down. Well not so much to do about that now. I took a deep calming breath and then I let go of the thick ivy, letting myself fall backwards.

I hit the ground with a hard “thump” and had to bite my tongue so I wouldn’t scream out loud as my side burned painfully and my foot made a cracking sound.

Crap, I looked down at my left foot and sighed. I had probably dislocated it in the fall. I winced at the pain but forced myself up in a standing position.

I looked around and saw that the mansion was situated so that it was surrounded by forest. Great, I couldn’t walk to the front of the house in case someone spotted me and also I didn’t have the keys to the car so it was a lost cause anyway. The only option left was going into the forest and hope to find it smaller than it looked. Maybe I could find a path that lead to a road or something like that.

I started limping towards the trees when suddenly a fierce and ferocious growl cut through the silent night around me. I threw an eye up toward the window I had climbed out from just when someone put their head out, franticly searching the ground below.

I couldn’t see who it was but before I had a chance to duck down behind something and hide the person got his eyes on me. Shit, I stumbled backwards when yet another ear-splitting growl vibrated through the air around me.

"Don’t you DARE move Ash!" the person roared from the window above and I immediately heard that it was Alex. I almost fell backwards again by the sheer force and anger in his voice. He sounded more like an animal than a man and to be honest I nearly shit my pants.

Though everything inside me screamed for me to stand still and not make this any worse I desperately ripped around and decided that I wouldn’t want to be here when he got down from there...

Before I entered the forest I threw one last look towards the window and I could feel my heart jump when I saw that it was now empty…well that couldn’t be a good sign.

“I’m so fucked.” I thought before I entered the forest and its consuming silence.