Chapter 25: A different place?... Or not?

I stayed on the floor with Kate in my lap until someone cleared their throat and I looked up and met Vincent’s impatient eyes.

"As much as I want to stand here looking at this heartbreaking reunion my hunger easily overshadows that." He stated and I couldn’t help but laugh at that and roll my eyes.

"Shouldn’t you eat outside? I mean the animals are in the woods not in here doggie." I smirked as everybody glared at my taunting and Kate just gave me a quizzical look.

"Great he’s back, and I who thought that he had finally become nice." Alex smirked when it was my turn to glare at him. I pushed of from the floor and placed Kate on her feet beside me. She gripped my right arm in a tight hold and I sighed silently. She probably thought I would disappear again if she let me go.

Vincent and Kevin started arguing over something I didn’t really catch and disappeared in the direction of the kitchen. When they had left Anton turned to me and raised his eyebrow slightly.

"The kitchen is that way you know?" He was probably wondering why I didn’t move and I shrugged and hesitantly started to move down the hall with Kate at my side and the brothers at our heels. My foot was seriously killing me but I was hungry and needed something in my stomach before I fainted or something like that.

I don’t know exactly what I had been expecting when we got back but it certainly wasn’t food. I thought they would take me to a dark room and chain me up or something so I couldn’t escape or even kill me, like rip my throat out or bite my head off. Of course there was still the possibility that they were taking me to the kitchen because I was the food. That thought made me slow down slightly and if it weren’t for Kate pulling me along I would have stopped completely.

We got to the kitchen and when we stepped through the entrance I saw that Vincent and Kevin had started pulling out all kinds of things from the fridge. I let my eyes land on Amber who was sitting at the table watching the guys roaming through the variety of food. Kate let go of my arm and run towards Kevin, squeezing her small body in between Vincent and him to get a better look at the food. I stood where I was until I felt a hand land at the base of my back.

"Are you going to stand here all day Sparky?" Alex had come up behind me without me noticing. His voice was low and when he spoke his breath brushed against my neck causing me to shiver and I hastily stumbled forward. I shot him a dirty look over my shoulder as I got a grip on myself and limped towards the table where Amber sat. I didn’t even bother answering him. I slid down on a chair on the opposite side of her and she gave me a small smile.

"I see you’re still alive, although those cuts don’t look too good." She let her eyes roam over my exposed upper body and face and I sighed deeply. I had totally forgotten that I had no shirt on. Great!

"Well I jumped from a window, run through a forest, tripped, slid and got crushed by your boyfriend and a werewolf and to top that of I live with an abusive asshole." I had my head against the table because I was feeling miserable.

"You lived with an abusive asshole." Alex voice cut through our conversation and I lifted my head and gave him a confused look.

"What?" I said and he gave me a pointed look.

"I said you used to live with an abusive asshole but not anymore since you live here now." He clarified and I groaned loudly and put my head in my hands trying to push away the headache I know was coming.

"You can’t just take people and place them somewhere else and say that they are to live there now. I actually already have a home and I don’t want to live here!" Even I could hear the irritation and frustration in my own voice but I didn’t care.

"You would rather keep living with an abusive and probably drunk excuse for a foster dad, than here? You would rather get beaten by him, than be with us? You would rather Kate lived in that house with him, than here where she’s safe?" It was Adam who was speaking and as usual I found everything he said more true than if somebody else had said it…

Good god, I groaned again and laid my head down on the table. Yeah he was right but I didn’t want to admit it out loud so I just shut my mouth and didn’t say anything else (I actually do still have some pride, you know).

As much as I wanted to protest I knew I hadn’t anything to protest with. He was right, I don’t want to get beaten every day and I definitely don’t want Kate to live there anymore.

The only problem was that I didn’t know who these people actually were and the most important question was also still unanswered:

Was this place really going to be any different than the last?