Chapter seven

Joules' POV

_________________________________________

Lucius softened when I said his name, but I thought it was just my imagination. He had a million thoughts going through his head, I could tell. When he was thinking, or was nervous, his hands sparked with electricity. Neither of us knew why.

"Hey, Joules....." Lucius said, trailing off.

"Yeah Lucius? What's wrong?" I said, instantly worried about my friend and crush.

"Umm....I...I really don't know how to say this..." He said, and he was so nervous he wouldn't meet my eyes.

"It's okay, go on." I encouraged.

"Well, Joules, I really like you..." He said, nervous.

"I like you too, Lucius, can we leave now?" I said. My heart started beating faster, but I feared he didn't feel the way I did.

"No, Joules, listen to me." Lucius said with an edge in his voice. I flinched, and became quiet.

Lucius' POV

_________________________________________

"I like you too, Lucius, can we leave now?" Joules said, rushed, obviously in an attempt to cut me off.

"No, Joules, listen to me." I said with a slight edge in my voice. She would NOT interrupt me during this. I had withheld my feelings about her for TOO LONG!!!

She flinched at the hardness in my voice. I felt bad, but I had to tell her how I felt before I lost my courage.

"Look, Joules. I started to like you since the day you shocked my dad to help us get away. I've liked you for so long Joules, it was torture to not tell you. Truth is, Joules, I think I'm in love with you. You're pretty, you're smart, and your powers might be stronger than mine. I just had to tell you, okay? I mean.....you don't have to like me back or anything......but I just had to tell you. I'm sorry, Joules." I said, depressed that she hadn't said anything after I finished.

To my surprise, however, the minute I looked away, I felt sinewy arms wrap around my neck. I looked up as Joules pulled away and said, "I like you too, Lucius. I think I love you as well. But I felt like I shouldn't tell you because it would ruin our friendship if you didn't feel the same. That's part of the reason I didn't want to leave you here alone and injured." She said sincerely.

The hour's events replayed in my head. How upset she'd been when I said to leave me behind. How she'd tried to be gentle when she was cleaning my knife slash. And, lastly, how she always said my name so softly, and now, I see, with love.

I pulled her close as I heard a noise. "Get down," I yelled at Joules, "and be quiet." I knew the day's events were just beginning. It was our parents.