Four ❤️

"Malik ! Your supposed to catch the damn ball ! Payne can you please take him to practice actually catching" Coach Brown yelled across the field. Zayn's cheeks flushed in embarrassment as Liam kindly walked over to him.

"Hey. Zayn right ? I'm Liam." The gorgeous dude standing in front of Zayn said. Zayn quietly nodded, keeping his head down. "Um you wanna go down the field, or- " Liam continued.

"Yeah- please." Zayn spoke up. Liam smiled a genuine adorable smile and Zayn couldn't resist the small smile crept on his own lips. They both walked to a farther area in silence.

"So. Zayn. When catching the football, you're going to put your hands cupped like this, and follow the ball with your eyes" Liam explained, holding the purple and yellow rubber football under his armpit. Zayn nodded. They started a short distance apart, and Liam started conversation.

"So uh, you walk the bike trail after school yeah ?" Liam asked scratching the back of his neck. Zayn threw the ball to Liam before answering.

"Yeah. How'd you know ?" The shorter boy questioned, catching the ball.

"Uh Zayn. I've been wanting to talk to you actually." Liam caught the ball, but just held it instead of throwing it back.

"Um what do you need Liam ?" Zayn asked, genuinely confused. Why would Liam of all people need to talk to him.

"So. I haven't meant to eavesdrop or anything, but I heard you on the phone with your mum. I also watched the incident that had happened once you got in the car. I-I didn't know if you wanted to keep it personal b-but Zayn. You cant just be abused and not tell anyone !" Liam fretted, throwing his arms up, wiping his forehead, not sure if he's in the right or wrong.

"L-Liam I" Zayn didn't even feel anything though- he was numb. He was confused, but numb. He never felt anything though, this isn't new actually. Liam pulled the black haired boy out of his thoughts by gently grabbing his chin between his pointer finger and thumb.

"Zayn. I used to have a best friend- Ashton was his name. He got abused by his father, badly. I barely found out one day, when I walked in on him changing. Sure, it's no big deal to walk in on your friend changing, unless you see something you can't unsee. Not only did he cut himself, but every inch of his arm was covered in blood and he was a crying, bloody mess. He got to the hospital in time- he lived- but he moved away a few months ago. Moral of the story is- well-" Liam tried finding the right finishing words. Zayn began to get teary eyed. Liam cared. He hadn't felt this in a while.

Sure, there was Niall and Harry, but this was different. His two lads never took time like this to chat about a touchy topic.

"Roll up your sleeves Zayn"

-

"Oh my gosh !" Liam laughed loudly, throwing his popcorn in his mouth.

"Mickey just got shot in the arse Liam why are you laughing ?" Zayn reasoned, holding back a laugh of his own.

"T-The child protective services j-just walked in on him with a- a bullet in his arse !" The brown haired boy threw his head back laughing.

"It's not that funny" Zayn giggled, admiring how Liam's muscular chest bounced as the elder laughed, how his arms flexed when he tensed. Liam just shook his head, grabbing another handful of popcorn before turning his head back to watching Shameless. Zayn had always looked up to the Gallavich couple actually. Mickey and Ian didn't have the best of both worlds, but they fit perfectly together and made it the best. He wanted something like that.

Zayn is still surprised to be in the Payne household on that note. Liam told the raven haired boy to netflix-n-hang after his discovery at gym. Liam also let Zayn know he was cared for and was alive for a reason. If not for his family and friends, for Liam.