14 In His Arms

Mackenzie

I stare at my unbelievably gorgeous mate as he shakes out his t-shirt. Muscles ripple along his back. I swear the man has muscles on top of his muscles, but he's not odd looking. No, he's perfect. Except that he is stiff... nervous.

Alpha Ryker Holden is nervous?

"Ryker? What is wrong?" I ask softly. I sit up, wincing at the sore sensation in my body. I fold my knees up to my chest and pull the covers up high. My wolf is passed out from the exertion of being Marked and mated (and mated some more).

He doesn't look at me. "Nothing, baby. You should sleep." He pauses. "Or do you need a bath? Something to eat?"

I start to get worried. "I'm fine. Are you... are you going somewhere?"

He pulls his pants on and zips them up. "I am going to make sure that Roland can't touch you, baby."

I nod. The lump in my throat prevents me from saying anything more. I start to worry. Ryker was so experienced. He had beautiful women around him all the time. What was one short, curly-top teenager compared to all of those other beauties? Maybe taking my virginity had been so awful that he regrets mating me at all?

I bow my head into the covers, trying to surreptitiously hide my face from him. I am so tired. We did everything backwards, Ryker and I. We were supposed to mate, then Mark, and then cuddle in bed on our honeymoon in Fiji.

"Fuck! Goddess Mackenzie!" The sheets were torn away from me. I look up in shock as a frantic Ryker grabs my face. My entire head fits into his huge palms. "Are you alright? I hurt you, didn't I? Fuck me! I'm so sorry, baby. I knew it. I'm such a goddamned asshole-"

I interrupt his rant with a gentle palm over his mouth. I realize suddenly that I am blocking his emotions. I'm so used to doing that all day that I forgot that we share a matebond now. I open up our link and his emotions wash over me. He is disgusted, but with himself. He hates that I am so much younger than he is, but doesn't resent me for it. He's worried that he rushed me, that he hurt me or scared me. His wolf is scratching at him to Mark and Mate me some more, as if what we just did isn't enough. It'll never be enough for that beast.

I think my heart literally swells in my chest. This male is awesome.

"I'm fine, Ryker. Just so tired and I wish you could stay with me."

He softens and without another word takes off his pants and crawls back into bed. "Whatever my queen wants," he says with a heart-stoppingly sexy grin. "Anything for you."

Holy goddess I am lucky.

---

Bastian

I take Lola to the kitchen. She needs to eat, pronto. My hands are trembling as I take out some soup from the fridge and heat it up. My wolf is on edge, his instincts snapping at me to just take his mate and run. If it is just the two of us, out in the wild, then everything would be perfect for him.

I look at our mate. Lola just sits at the island, her shoulders slumped, head bowed. I can't agree with my wolf. I may love Lola, but I don't want to give everything up for her. Part of me knows that if I asked her to leave the pack with me she would laugh in my face. She has the males of this pack wrapped around her perfectly-manicured fingers. Why would she leave?

"We're supposed to go the Conference room," she slurs exhaustedly. Her gorgeous brown eyes blink at me slowly. She's at the end of her endurance, pale, and weak. It's awful, seeing her like this and all because my dad decided to butt into my mating.