24 The Calm

Lola

I shake Bastian's hand from mine. It's not easy, his fingers are reluctant to pull away from mine.

"I'm riding with Brett this morning," I say quietly.

Bastian growls lowly.

I suck in a breath and push myself away from his side. I waited to make this announcement until we are only steps away from the kitchen. That way I spare ourselves the argument I know Bastian wants to have with me.

I'll protect him, even with his plan to Challenge his father. Even when he plans on turning over the entire pack to Alpha Ryker. Until that Challenge is made, I'll pretend I'm only Bastian's sidepiece.

"Fuck," he grunts under his breath as I walk towards Brett with a cheery smile on my face.

"Hey, Brett, can you bring Lola to school this morning?" Bastian interjects before I can say a word.

Internally I roll my eyes. Of course he takes charge of this idea of mine. Alpha males.

"Sure, Bast," Brett murmurs. He tosses me a distracted smile before returning to his bacon. Mmm, bacon. I love it when it's Brett's turn to cook breakfast.

I snag some from the stove while Bastian grabs some eggs, putting some on my plate for me. I send him a warning look when he offers toast to me, too. It's OK for the Alphason of a pack to offer food to a packmate... up to a point. It's much more common for other wolves to serve their alpha, not the other way around.

Cassie stomps into the kitchen, a glare on her face. I sigh. I haven't seen her in awhile, just like Jacob and Sam.

Speak of the devil... Both brothers walk into the kitchen moments later.

Marley sneaks in last, and we are complete. Well, not really, Mackenzie isn't here. And she won't be ever again, because she is now the Luna of the RueClaw - soon to be RueHarbor.

I swallow. Holy shit. If Bastian and Alpha Ryker's plan succeeds, than Mackenzie will be our Luna and I'll be the Beta female.

Yeah, I'll suck at that job, just like I would've been an awful Luna.

"Hey Loles," Sam greets me in a low voice. He only says hello to me before digging into the food. I nod back at him, pretending that I can't see Bastian crumpling the milk carton in his fist.

"Bastian, how are things?" Cassie asks him, ignoring Marley when the young girl greets her.

"Ready to go, Loles?" Brett says to me quietly. I agree with him immediately. I know Bastian doesn't like Cassie, but I still don't want to watch her flirt with him. Hypocritical of me since I'm leaving with Brett, but I can't help the jealousy surging through me.

"Marley?" Brett asks his sister to join us.

"I'll ride with Jacob and Cassie," she says absently.

"All right," he shrugs.

I meet Bastian's gaze as I leave, Sam's eyes boring into the side of my face.

I see the warning from Bastian's wolf. He wants me close and doesn't like to have me with another male.

I suddenly feel a little sorry for Brett.

---

Bastian snags me exactly four minutes after I walk into school.

"I fucking missed you," he mutters, kissing me hard.

I gasp in shock as he shoves me against the wall, mouth on mine, pure possession in his embrace.