19 Scary Revelations

Ryker

What the fuck. What the fuck? I feel Mackenzie's tiny hand slip into mine and I tighten my fingers on it like a lifeline.

"What are we going to do?" she asks me softly.

God, I love her so much. She is already calling us 'we.' I am not alone anymore. "Roland has to be eliminated, baby." I say it gently, or at least I think I do.

She still flinches, her head bowed. "I should have known, Ry."

My sweetheart. I pull her close to hug her, then pick her up to walk to the windows, away from the mess around the couch. "How could you know, Mackenzie? Not even Bastian suspected."

Her head is bowed low. There is something off, I can sense her fear, her reluctance. I stiffen as a horrifying thought occurs to me. "Did that motherfucker touch you too?" I snarl, foam literally swelling in my mouth at the thought.

Mackenzie gasps, her hand flying towards my cheek. I brace myself for her slap. Instead her little palm rests gently on me. "No, Ryker. That is not what I meant. You know I was a virgin. Honey, calm down." She speaks lovingly to me, despite what an asshole I am.

I relax. This day has me so on edge. Fucking unbelievable.

Mackenzie is wary again. Her hand drops from me and all I want to do is snatch it and put it back on me where it belongs.

"Ryker, I'm an empath."

I am blank. She is still, standing at the window, watching the street below blindly. I turn and pick up my phone. "Alice? I need a cleaning crew and a new couch ordered. Get on it, quickly. Also, send Nanty in."

Nanty walks in under a minute later. His gaze flickers to the couch and I see him inhale. He looks at Mac, too, reassuring himself that his Luna is safe. I glare at him. Of course she is safe.

"Nanty, I need an extra set of clothes from you and another set for a young woman. How tall is she, Mac?"

"Size 6, medium," Mackenzie answers softly.

Nanty nods. He knows without being instructed to be discreet. I can't allow Roland to know I have his son and Lola, his... victim, here. Not yet, anyway.

Nanty leaves and the room falls silent as two other packmembers move into the room, removing the couch and rolling up the carpet to have it cleaned. Becca comes in and mops the floor, leaving behind a lemony scent. The cleanup is done in less than twenty minutes. The entire time my Luna stands staring out of the window and I think about what she has told me.

She's an empath. I know only a little of the extra-sensory capabilities some wolves are blessed with. I feel inordinately proud of her. She is special. I am also afraid for her. She is already a target as my Luna. Now she is even more valuable to another alpha. They may be stupid enough to try to steal her from me.

"Mackenzie, let's check on Bastian and Lola and then we can go eat, and talk."

She nods and takes my offered hand. Her eyes don't meet mine and I frown before realization dawns. I stop walking and pull her into my body, tilting her head up to mine.

"Mackenzie." She looks at me, trying to keep her face blank, but her hurt shines through. "I love you, baby. It is not your fault you did not know about Lola, all right?"

She smiles, but it is weak. It will have to do, for now.

Bastian is tucking Lola into the bed when we walk upstairs. It is more than strange to see another woman where only Mackenzie belongs, but I figure the alphason will join his mate there soon, anyway.