36 Peeling Wallpaper

Bastian

I spit out the foul taste of blood and flesh. The bodies of the two DarkFur scouts I found lie limp, their bodies strewn across the forest. The DarkFur scum didn't last long and ripping into them wasn't nearly satisfying enough. They died on paws, so I drag the largest pieces into a small chasm of rock. Scavengers will find the corpses and dispose of them for me. They'll be nothing but bone fragments of wild wolves by the time any humans stumble onto the remains.

I wipe the pouring rain out of my eyes. The downpour is heavy even under the canopy of trees. Tilting my head back I let my mouth fill with the cold water, before swishing it around and spitting it back out. DarkFur has a taste that my wolf deems filthy.

My wolf tears into my mind. We have a choice. We can go join Ryker as he cleans out the cells, or we can find Lola.

As much as I have bloodlust singing through my veins, another sort of lust wins out.

My Lola means more to me than what my cock tells me she is. I feel her, my Mark on her neck pulsating gently, matching her heartbeat. I can feel the thrum of her life in my own.

I've Marked my pussy, now it's time my pussy Mark me. It's more important than the DarkFur or even sorting the new pack out. Maybe it's the knowledge that Ryker let Samuel go free, along with Jacob and Joshua, or maybe it's the knowledge that Nicolai is trying to abduct her, but I feel like my mating with Lola under the threat of a ticking time bomb. We need to complete it and maybe, just maybe, this burning obsession I have with Lola will lessen to a bearable point.

I slick my soaking hair off of my eyes and take another narrow-eyed look around the forest. Broken limbs are scattered here and there, blood soaks the ground and is splattered on the tree trunks and boulders. The rain is making leaves fall. That'll go a long way to cover my tracks.

I shift back to paws. I've done everything I can here. The weather prevents me from scenting if other DarkFur are nearby, so I turn and lope back in the direction of the packhouse, keeping my eyes peeled for any sign of intruders.

---

Lola

Is it wrong to be here? I mean, it's Mac's house. And, technically, I'm being helpful by ripping this hideous gold and brown flower motif wallpaper off of her living room walls. But she's not here. And... well, OK, so this may actually be considered breaking and entering. Into my alpha's house.

Not my best idea, but Mackenzie disappeared to go to Alpha Ryker and I have no idea where Bastian is. I can't hang out by myself in our barren apartment. It's a blank slate; white walls, light grey tile floor, chrome fixtures. It's waiting for Bastian and I to put our personal stamp on it, I guess, but right now it feels so cold and impersonal. I'd rather be here, doing this awful job. I'm literally peeling wallpaper. It's annoying and super-boring, but there is some satisfaction with seeing it go. The same feeling I had earlier when I threw out the Buffalo Bills toilet cozy in the trash. Eww on so many levels.

Growling, I pick at a particularly stubborn piece of wallpaper with my fingernails until it slowly comes up enough that I can grasp it and pull. "Yes, you stupid, ugly, bitch!" I smirk as a big piece comes off.

A huge flash lights up the sky outside, followed by a crack of thunder. The storm is really raging. Hopefully that means that everyone will be home soon. I should probably abandon my wallpaper-peeling efforts and head back to the blank slate.

Sighing, I turn back to the wall. It looks like an avante garde modern art installation.

The sound of the door in the kitchen opening and shutting makes me turn.