Backup Plans

I cannot find it within me to accept their revelation. They can't possibly be serious about this, can they? Hello? Werewolves? Those creatures only exist in the literature, myths, or those movies and television series they show to the people. Werewolves aren't real. Even if there was an ounce of possibility that they exist, that must mean there are only a few of them living around us, right?

I don't want to believe them at all. This has to be a joke!

"Nicole, please say something," Chris pleads, still staring at me.

"What's there to say?" I question while staring at the carpeted floor.

I just can't believe it at all. What I've read about werewolves or seen about werewolves in the movies is that they're monsters who kill people when it's the night of the full moon. If it is true that I'm a werewolf, then does that mean that I myself will become a killer like the others, too?

The two of them don't reply.

I stare at the two of them in disbelief. "I still can't find it in my heart or in my mind to believe you."

"I knew this would happen. Let's go to the backyard. Come on, Alpha. This was your plan, remember?" Valerie declares, referring to Chris as Alpha. She stands up and ushers for me to follow the two of them to the backyard.

Alpha? As in the leader of the pack Alpha like what they show in movies? Didn't Jer and Kathleen also refer to Chris as Alpha a few days ago?

"You might want to back away a little," Chris suggests as he takes off his shirt and his pants.

I cover my eyes and scream. "What the hell are you doing, Chris? Don't just strip in front of us! That's gross!"

"I'm wearing boxers, chill. Don't cover your eyes, you have to see me shift," Chris calmly explains the situation.

I take my hand off my eyes and see Chris in the middle of the backyard. The lights around the area are not that bright so it's hard to see him well at this time of the night. I can hear Chris's bones cracking and see them rearranging themselves inside his body. His face slowly elongates and fur emerges from his skin until he transformed into a full wolf in front of us, shredding his boxers in the process.

There stands an abnormally large gray wolf, right in front of us. The wolf approaches us slowly, making me take a step backward in fear. I can hear and feel my heart beating erratically in my chest.

Valerie holds my arms, saying, "calm down, Nikki. It's just Chris. He won't hurt us. He's our brother."

"Chris?"

The wolf nods his head.

"I'm going to need to take a seat." I leave the both of them and proceed back to the living room.

The two of them join me a few minutes later, Chris fully dressed. I don't know if it's normal for werewolves to strip in front of other people, but to me, it's definitely not normal. They both stare at me, waiting for me to speak.

"So, werewolves are really... real." I manage to conclude after watching my big brother transform. "Does this mean vampires also exist? I mean, it's shown in the different books and movies that werewolves and vampires are enemies. Is that true?"

"Yes and no...?" Valerie drags on before turning her head to Chris.

Chris patiently answers my questions, "Yes, they exist. They aren't exactly our enemies though. We just do our business and they'll do theirs. We're really particular about our territories."

"How... interesting," I remark, "what exactly is this business you are talking about?"

"We capture rogue wolves who do not have a pack and those who intend on causing trouble or harming the pack. Of course, other businesses include our livelihood. On the other hand, vampires are just bloodsuckers who drink people's blood and just compel them to forget it ever happened to them. They'll probably heal them in the process, too." Chris then leans his back on the chair.