Wolf Troubles II

The entire classroom remains quiet. Not one student dared to utter a single word, not after the teacher's sudden announcement of an oral recitation during the third period in which everyone has to participate. If you're lucky enough, maybe you'll get one of the easy questions.

"I swear, Mrs. Dane is a sadist. She likes seeing us suffer," Jace grumbles while smacking his head on his desk over and over again. "Jeremiah, Kathleen, and Leandre are so lucky. Since they aren't around, they won't be minced and cooked by Mrs. Dane's questions."

The students slowly leave the classroom to their next class. Luckily for the four of us, our next class is study period which means we do not need to leave here. There should be a lot of us here but they probably left to buy food somewhere. I can't blame them though. Maybe they didn't get to have breakfast yet.

I sit up straight and glance at Leandre's empty seat. What could have happened that made him miss today's class? I hoped to see him today since it's my birthday after all. Plus, now that I'm a werewolf, I wanted to check if I'd feel those things Valerie taught me when I meet my mate. I did feel a bit of connectedness to Leandre when I haven't shifted yet. They'd probably be stronger, now that I was finally able to transform into a wolf.

I sigh and slouch, putting my chin in the palm of my right hand. I hope he's alright. I know he's strong and all, but the current events really scare me. 

My heart starts pumping strongly and my head begins to spin. I place my hands on both sides of my head and squeeze my eyes shut. A ringing sound fills my ears and I feel a piercing pain stab my chest. Glowing blue and yellow lights dance around in my head, making me dizzy. 

What's going on?

"Nikki!" Jace shouts, squeezing my shoulders in an attempt to bring me back. 

I open my eyes, only realizing that I was trying to keep up with my breathing. 

"Your eyes..." Jace comments, his irises darkening. His breathing slowly becomes ragged and his heartbeat quickens. His hands begin to tremble and he shuts his eyes. "Why are they glowing blue and gold?"

Elina notices the distress the two of us are in and places her hand over our eyes. "Power residing inside this stone, come out and embrace these people as your own."

After the words leave Elina's lips, my heartbeat and breathing begin to stabilize. The ringing inside my ears slowly slips away, and the stabbing pain on my chest fades. 

Elina removes her hands from my eyes and calmly whispers, "We can't have you two shifting inside the classroom now. More than half of the students here may be part of the werewolf faction, but that doesn't mean we should be careless."

When I open my eyes, Elina stands in front of me. Caleb stands behind Jace, his hands squeezing Jace's shoulders in an attempt to hold him down. A small rose-colored stone is placed on my desk. I furrow my eyebrows and look at Jace. His pupils are constricting and dilating over and over again. His whole body trembles as he tries his best to keep his wolf at bay.

"Miss Zinnia said this would be effective on werewolves who lose control..." Elina drags on and looks at the stone, before looking at me. "Unless the catalyst was something different."

"Huh?"

"Nevertheless..." she smiles and places the stone on Jace's forehead. 

Jace's eyes and his once trembling body go back to normal. 

"Huh. I guess it is still controllable," she comments as if she expected the condition to spiral out of control. She takes back the stone, placing it in her small sling bag while Caleb assists Jace in standing up.