Chapter 13

A/N: I’m preparing a little contest for Halloween. There will be five winners and I’ll give each a review on five chapters from a book of their choice. If you are interested in the details of the competition, read Do You Want To Win A Review, which I’ll post this weekend.

*****

Vallery’s POV

I could tell by his slight frown that he’d felt my weight as I sat on his bed. He made no attempt to open his eyes though.

“C’mon, bro, get up,” I placed my hand over his shoulder and shook him. “It’s six a.m.; time to jog.”

 “Leave me alone, Val,” he pleaded with a grunt.

“No way. You are coming with me, big brother.” This time, I poked him in the ribs. He rubbed the spot with his eyes still closed then put his hand back under his pillow. He obviously had no intention of getting up but I had set a goal for today and going for a jog with him was part of the plan. I started poking him in random places on his torso until, at last, he opened one of his eyes to look at me.

“You can wake up at six a.m. on a Sunday but you can’t be bothered to wake up at seven during the rest of the week to go to school?”

“I love jogging, I hate school; simple as that,” I replied cheerfully.

He closed his eye and turned his head away. A minute passed before he spoke:

“You are not going to leave me alone, are you, Val?”
“Sorry, bro; I’ll always be here for you even if you don’t want me to.”

He sighed and sitting up in his bed, he rubbed his face.

“Give me ten minutes to get ready.”

I grinned and pecked him on the cheek before skipping downstairs. My brother, being the punctual person he was, took exactly ten minutes to join me. Then again, he didn’t have to do much to get ready; just brush his teeth put on a pair of loose pants and a t-shirt and maybe comb his hair. Guys had it so easy! No need to pluck your eyebrows, straighten or curl your hair, put on face cream or lip balm.

“You’ll thank me later, bro,” I commented, patting his stomach. “I’m all that is standing between you and the extra pounds.”

“I’m disciplined enough to lose weight on my own if I have too much of it,” he protested as we walked towards the front door. “Besides, it’s not like I need to keep myself in shape for anyone in particular.”

“What about for Hunter?” I teased.

“Very funny, Vallery; you know darn well I am still angry at that guy. He shouldn’t have cheered you on in taking that turtle. What if someone saw you?” He asked turning towards me and walking backwards onto the porch. “Josh isn’t exactly your fan, Val; I’m sure he’d love to spill the beans on you. But you just had to take that turtle and Hunter just had to tell you what a great idea it was. If I don’t see hunter Harris anytime soon, I’d be all too happy with that.”

“Hey.” My brother literally jumped at his voice. “Your sister invited me to jog with you two,” Hunter went on with a wide grin.

“Stop laughing,” Nat - who couldn’t take his eyes of our neighbor and had his back to me - muttered.

“I am not even smiling,” I lied.

“Yes, you are; I can feel you grinning,” he whispered.