Chapter 29

A/N: I know I promised you a huge surprise at the end of this chapter, but as I began writing it, I realized that it would seem too rushed if I had that moment here so it will be in the next chapter instead… Don’t kill me! Especially not today ‘cause IT’S MY ANNIVERSARY! Yep, today marks my two years on wattpad and two years since I posted the first chapters to my first storyThe Green Girl. Check it out if you haven’t already (link in the comments)?

Since I’ve had a wonderful time on this site – even with the bugs – I’m dedicating this chapter to wattpad. I hope it continues to improve and be a source for even more free stories!

Also, HAPPY NEW YEAR, everybody! J

*****

Nathaniel’s POV

I didn’t need to open my eyes to know I wasn’t at home.

It wasn’t just the harness of the surface beneath me; the texture was all wrong. Instead of smooth, it was rippled due to the wavy pattern of the couch. I got up with a groan and rubbed my neck. I tried to stretch, but my joints ached.

A thud came to the left and I heard a raspy ‘Mornin’!’

I opened my eyes and then my mouth but did not return the greeting.

Hunter had just walked into the room, his own eyes still not fully unclosed, his hair disheveled and his torso bare. He walked to the mini fridge and turned his back to me as he opened the door. And that was when I saw it for the first time.

The large cross, surrounded by flowers, covered most of his muscled back. The colors were faint, barely hinted and pastel. A bit of green on the stems, a dash of red on the roses and cream – his favorite color – graced the leaves of the lotus flowers. A strange combination – strong and thorny roses with delicate lotuses – but it somehow was him; it has grasped his nature.

It surprised me that his tattoo was not a gang-related but a religious one and the notion of that brought hope; perhaps the rumors about him were wrong…

“Do you want…” He turned to me, beer in hand, his voice trailing off as he realized I’d been staring at him. My cheeks heated even before the left corner of his lips was up.

“I was going to ask if you wanted to call room service and order breakfast, but that’s not what you want, is it, Natty?”

“I was just looking at your tattoo,” I justified myself and began to rise off the couch but paused before I was up. A certain part of me had already risen and I didn’t want him to think he was what had caused the bulge.

He leaned back on one of the counters – smirk still on – and took a sip of his beer. A drop escaped his mouth and his tongue swooped out to lick it off his lower lip.

“Did you like what you saw, Natty?”

“I…”

“It’s a simple question,” he said, looking me straight in the eyes. “Did you like my tattoo?”

“Oh, that!” I exclaimed relieved. “Yeah, I like it; I didn’t think it would be a religious one.”

“Then what did you think it would be?”

“I…”

Wonderful job, Nathaniel! How are you going to get out of this one?

“I… don’t know…” I said slowly. “I’ve never thought about that.”