Chapter Five

__••__

Three Years Ago

The cool breeze and the softness of the bed below her, made Jenna's lips tug into a smile as she felt that a new day had begun. A new day that would bring joy and a new beginning in her life. She opened her brown eyes and stared at the ceiling with a big grin on her face then shifted her gaze to the wooden door of the room she was in.

As if on cue, the door was pushed open and in came Gloria, Vera and five other female friends and colleagues she knew. She sat up and kept the smile on her face.

"Good morning to the most beautiful bride we know!" Vera yelled in glee as Gloria and two other girls dragged Jenna out of the king sized bed.

One of the girls popped a bottle of wine, which made them clap and another dished flute glasses to everyone before the wine was poured into the glasses.

"I can't believe that my best friend is actually getting married," Gloria said and fanned her face. "I think I am going to cry."

Jenna felt her eyes sting with tears and smiled weakly at the emotional strain on her friends who all stood in nothing but bathrobes while their hair were pulled into a bun.

"Anyways, it's time to get this bride ready for her prince charming," one of the girls said while another rushed to the door and opened it dramatically.

Jenna dropped her glass of wine on the nightstand and covered her mouth with her hands as a group of men and women strolled in with makeup kits, a cart filled with other types of cosmetics alongside some dresses which were all the same color pattern, a mixture of yellow African print and plain white color.

"I can't believe this is actually happening," Jenna whispered as tears brimmed her eyes in an instant. "I can't believe it."

"Now, where is my princess?" Came a cheery voice from the hallway outside of the room, and in came a woman who was around her fifties, she was also cladded in a bathrobe, leaving just the fair skin of her hands and legs showing, including her head that was tied up with a towel.

"Mom!" Jenna hollered in joy and raced over to the woman who opened her arms and received her daughter with a face filled with motherly pride.

"I know, I know," the woman said and pulled away. "I'm so happy that I got to see this day. It makes me so proud of you. I wish your father was here to see you this happy but I'm sure he's sending his blessings down on you."

Jenna sniffed as tears rolled down her cheeks then laughed heartily when her mother tickled her sides.

"Don't cry, Jenna. It's your day, you should laugh and cheer. Now, girls," her mother looked over to the crowd in the room. "It's time to fancy this lady up." She clapped her small hands and hugged her daughter who stood taller than her.

"Yes, Ma'am," a few of them echoed their responses before Jenna was dragged by her wrists by two of her colleagues to the large bathroom that had rose petals on the marbled floor and in the bath, alongside some candles and body wash of all kinds.

"Ready?" One of the girls asked.

Jenna smiled and nodded.

__••__

After her bathroom care, she was swaddled in a big bathrobe and pulled to the vanity table, set out by the makeup team. Jenna felt her cheeks would burn from keeping her face in a wide grin as they began to work on her feet, fingers and hair.