Chapter Sixteen

__••__

Jenna gazed at her reflection in the bathroom mirror after taking off the black and peach mask on her face. She inhaled deeply and exhaled then stared down at the dagger in the sink that smelt of the metallic stench of blood as it washed away. She touched the dagger with shaking hands then stared at it studiously.

"Look what you're making me do, Jonathan. We were supposed to be that power couple but you let someone take away the spot you have for me in your heart. What did I ever do?" She demanded in a rough tone then looked up at her reflection. "I've turned to a murderer because of you. But, you know what? I'll do anything for you, Jonathan. Anything."

She let tears roll down her cheeks then leaned on the sink with eyes shut tightly. Jenna exhaled then picked up the dagger and hooked it back in the strap by her thigh, then wore the face mask back.

__••__

The soft music coming from the stage, echoed through out the noisy hall for the guests who either danced or stood in groups talking. Jenna made her way into the gathering and paused to look around for Jonathan, who was no where to be found in the mass.

"Where would my husband be?" She asked and kept on looking out for him.

She walked through the gathering for a moment and when she found him, she smiled and kicked her leg forward in a stride to meet him but stopped instantly.

"What are you doing, Jenna? The police are after you and he should know this by now," her conscience scolded beside her in a similar attire and a scowl.

Jenna frowned. "No. I'm sure Jonathan will believe me if I tell him that I didn't kill anyone. He's my husband and he's supposed to believe me and stand by me."

She kept her brown eyes on his back as he spoke to the people around him then smiled softly when he turned in her direction. Jenna took in his perfectly styled hair, strong jawline, well tailored suit and the sad smile on his face. She sighed then gasped when he made eye contact with her, she stilled as he kept on staring at her up and down with a certain emotion in his eyes before his eyes widened in recognition.

"Jenna?!" He yelled and she gasped.

The hall got silent after calling out her name, and from a distance, Jenna saw a disturbance and then the sight of some police officers heading towards her side. She felt her heart beat faster and mouth go dry then looked back at Jonathan who had worry stretched over his face.

"I love you!" She yelled out to him then ran through the guests, knocking a few down and getting curses from some.

Jenna could hear the calls coming from the police officers on her tail and increased her speed even in the gown she wore. She yanked her mask off her face in annoyance and kept breezing through the guests who could not give way for her to pass and all of a sudden, she was tackled to the cold floor by a police officer.

"Get off of me!" She yelled and thrashed under the man who had her pinned down. She grunted as she struggled under him and quickly reached for her gun, pulled it out and shot the officer in the stomach, the crowd dispersed.

Jenna stood up, looked around the stampeding crowd and made eye contact with Jonathan who had fear and disappointment in his brown eyes. She whimpered and shook her head then ran away, ignoring the fact that her husband was calling out to her.

The wanted woman found her way outside the building complex and kept running to where she had packed her car, she swore under her breath when she realized that she had forgotten her clutch where the car key had been then paced around. When she heard the police officers' yells coming from a distance, she panicked and stared back at the car.