Chapter Eight

__••__

Jenna felt a heavy throb on the sides of her head and back of her head as she tried to open her eyes up, it felt like she was carrying tons of metal on each of her eyelids. She moved her fingers weakly then tried to part her lips that seemed like it was glued shut. She furrowed her eyebrows when she heard beeping sounds around her then finally got a strong whiff of antiseptic and medicines. A stench that reminded her of clinics or hospitals.

"Oh, you're awake," she heard a soft male voice somewhere around her and immediately opened her eyes only to close it back when white lights clouded her vision.

Jenna slowly opened her eyes and made eye contact with a man she failed to recognize. He had tousled black hair, thin brows and lips, striking blue eyes that illuminated his strong bearded face.

"Who are-" she coughed when her throat itched and throbbed.

The man rushed over to the side table and picked up a glass of water, tilted her chin in his soft grip then placed the glass on her lips. Jenna parted them and allowed him to feed her the water till she felt her throat moisten, as well as her mouth.

"Thank you," she said in a clearer voice. "Who are you and why am I here?"

A frown occupied his face. "I can't tell if you suffered a small memory loss but from the records found on your phone and a few documents in your car. You are Jenna Hanks, 25, married, Nigerian-American, and works at-"

Jenna cut him off. "I bloody know who I am, sir. I meant who are you?"

"Oh, I'm Luke Edgewood and I was the police officer chasing after you the night you were caught speeding."

"That's great." Sarcasm dripped from her words.

"On a serious note, we found some high intake of alcohol in your system a few days ago from the hospital and since you were at 160 on the highway, we have charged you but I knew that something drove you to be like that. I had to come back to check up on you," Luke replied while the bruised woman eyed his lean frame.

"I didn't ask for anyone's help. I can do what I want by myself and why didn't you just let me die in that car?" She hissed and clutched her waist. "I don't deserve to be alive and kicking!" Jenna screamed, pulled the IV needle out of her hand and rolled down the bed with a pained groan.

Luke instantly raced to her side and tried to help her up but she thrashed in-between his strong arms after he wrapped them around her body. Once he had pulled her half way up, she kicked him in the groin, which made him drop her and laid curled up on the ground in pain.

Jenna ignored the throbbing pain in her arms, legs and head as she crawled over to the door but before she could reach it, three nurses barged in, in alarm. When they had understood what was happening, they carried her up and dragged her back on her bed where she proved stubborn by thrashing despite the visible injuries on her body.

"Let me go! I want to get out of here. Leave me alone!" Jenna yelled as they pinned her down. "I want to go kill myself! I don't deserve to live with all these betrayal and pain, please. Just let me die!" She begged as she thrashed the more and finally got one of the nurses in the jaw. She watched in satisfaction as the female nurse backed away.

"Get the injection," the only male nurse amongst them, spoke and the second female nurse raced out of the room.

"Let me go, please! I want to be alone and die alone. Why can't you let me do what I want since Jonathan can do what he wants?!" She barked in the male nurse's face, tears running down her cheeks. "You understand me, right? You can feel the pain I feel since your duty is to help me. You really need to understand that I want to leave."