Chapter Fourteen

__••__

Jonathan adjusted his black tie as he made his way down the last few steps of his house, before he made a turn into the kitchen but paused when he saw his wife standing in front of the cooker, the hand that held a spoon, poised in the pot and her attention not on the pot of steaming food.

He saw that she looked tired, she had dark rings around her eyes, her hair was not brushed and her free hand clenched the edge of the cooker, so hard. He cleared his throat but she did not budge. He frowned and walked over to her then shook her shoulder.

Jenna gasped and spun around then sighed when she saw Jonathan staring down at her in worry. She briefly took in his suit and faced the pot.

"Are you okay? You were zoned out pretty deep," he said.

"I'm fine," she muttered and left his presence to the sink where she washed out two take out plates.

"What are you cooking?" He asked and peeped into the pot. "Ooh, cassarole."

"Yes, and it's your lunch," she said and placed the plates aggressively on the granite counter in the kitchen. "I made you breakfast."

Jonathan looked away from her to the table in the kitchen and walked over to it, took his sit and began to eat in silence.

Jenna looked over at her shoulder to see if he had started eating then moved over to the steaming pot then turned the cooker off and began to dish out the meals into the two plates. Once she was done, she stuffed her hand into the pocket of her apron and pulled out a small medicine bottle.

She smirked. "You can't run away from my wrath."

With that, she emptied the whole content of the small black bottle into one of the plates and placed it back into her apron then cocked the plates shut and faced her husband who was already done eating. She smiled.

"Jon, I made lunch for Vera too," she said sweetly which made Jonathan confused for a moment. "Oh, come on. It's my peace offering to her, hubby. If I could forgive you, I need to forgive her too. I said a lot of bad things to her too."

He nodded. "Makes sense and I'm sure she'll love it."

"She'll love it alright," her conscience in her form stated beside her and Jenna chuckled in response.

"Good," she said and took the two plates and placed them in two different bags. "This one is for her, it's bigger. I want her to eat as much as she can."

Jonathan stood up and took them happily and kissed her briefly.

"Make sure she eats it, Jonathan. You have yours too," she said as Jonathan began to make his way to the living room. "Tell her to call me!"

"Sure, babe!" Jonathan yelled back and left the house.

"That's if she stays alive to call," the second Jenna retorted and scoffed at the same time everyone of them did.

"I hope she doesn't actually call," Jenna said.

__••__

"That's so nice of her, I'll call her when it's lunch time. And to think that I forgot my own lunch?" Vera said and laughed.

"Yeah, but I'm sure she's forgiven you," Jonathan said and wrapped his arm around Vera's shoulder as they walked into his office. "Last night was great but also tragic with what happened to your neighbor. Who could kill her like that?"

Vera shrugged. "I don't know but it's scary that she's dead. I was really close to her, you know. I became close to her when people kept saying we look so alike and all."