🍁CHAPTER FOUR

Dhriti was sitting in the middle of the decorated bed, placed in the well-decorated room of her husband. She was expecting a simple compliment about how she was looking like a bride but she got nothing, not from her husband nor from her mother-in-law.

She felt something was wrong with the behavior of her husband. Then she thought as they didn't know much about each other maybe he was shy or embarrassed. Her dress was heavy, she was so tired, she wanted to get fresh and get rid of this heavy dress. But a little part of her heart was expecting that warm and romantic gesture that pati ka uska ghunghat uthana (Lifting her veil to see her face). We can't blame her for expecting little things from her life and this marriage.

Imagine a girl who was never ever thought of even getting married got married to a handsome nice guy. Something good was starting to happen to her then it will not hurt to expect little more from her life. Yeah, that's what she thought that time.

Since her engagement, she has started to see everything from a new perspective. She has started to find happiness in small things and expecting little things. She was excited, curious, and a little bit scared to face this new journey. She was waiting for her husband. She liked the way her tongue rolled pronouncing "her husband".

Even nobody was present in that room, she blushed. She can hear her wildly beating heart. She wiped her moist hand on her lehenga. She recalls when after listening to her mama-papa's conversation.

She called him, after ringing of the third ring the cellphone was picked up by her mother-in-law.

"Hello, beta Ji, he is busy in completing office work here, so that he can come to you. You two are getting married in India, so, your husband is working had to finish his work. So that your husband can come to India as soon as possible." Her mother-in-law said in teasing tone.

"Namaste aunty, Ji. I will call him later."Dhriti said trying to sound normal, but she was blushing from top to bottom.

"Oh, relax. You guys will also be busy preparing for marriage and also engagement. As on the bride's side, there is more work to do. At the time of my marriage as the groom was from America. My father had left no chance to get complains about anything. The baraatis have a lot of demand and tantrums, as they come from abroad. I will tell him, you called. Ok, I have to go shopping, talk to you later." With a small laugh, she ended the call. Dhriti was not a fool to not catch the meaning behind the story, her mother-in-law has just told her. 

Later that night she got a message from his husband. He was a little nervous and excited to meet her. He was sorry that he was unable to attend her call. Also, he sends three pictures of the different rings, asking her to choose one of them for their engagement. Seeing a simple but sweet message from his husband cleared her all doubt about this marriage.

Her chain of thought was halted by the loud opening of that room's door. There his husband was in his disheveled condition. His hair was messy as he had run his fingers in it many times. His sherwani was creased and his eyes were blazing with fire. She flinched seeing so much hatred in his husband's eyes directed toward her.

"What has happened to you??? A-Are you ok?" Saying she hurriedly jumps from the bed and moves towards him.

"Don't you dare to touch me!!! Just stay away from me ok!!! And listen carefully I never wanted to marry you. You and this marriage were forced on me. I will never marry you even in my drunken state. Have you seen your face? If God will give me another chance I will not marry you. I want my life back!!! You had ruined my life. My all friends were mocking me and you what was the reason??? Yeah, the reason was you. The illiterate, gawanr ladki from a village. Oh, sorry!!! I forget to add ugly. Do you really think any guy from America will marry you willingly? I don't know about you??? But I have an image, a class, and reputation and I will never give anyone to ruin that, did you get that??? Answer me damn it!!!" He yelled.

"J-Jee vo." Dhriti's eyes were glossed with unshed tears. In her whole life, she had heard all types of bad words against her but this was too much. Maybe because this was coming from her husband. From whom she was expecting little sweet simple compliments on her wedding night. 

"Please don't tell me? You don't understand simple English. OhGod, I have to repeat everything again in Hindi. Yha pe khadi ho kar, mera sara mood khrab kar rahi ho tum. Acha hua maine tumhara chehra nahi dekha habhi tak, vrna sari zindagi barbard ho jati meri. ( By standing here, you are spoiling my whole mood.  It is good that I have not seen your face yet, otherwise my whole life would have been ruined.) Now go away from my eyesight. And don't even think about sleeping in the same bed. Just find some corner here and in the morning if you tried to tell anyone about anything. Forget about that corner in this room, I will throw you outside my house." Saying he entered the bathroom. Leaving crying bride with broken hope and a broken heart in the middle of the room.