4. Warmth of Squabble

"Bhrata, would you mind a visit to the market today?"

"Yes," he answered before listening to me further. "Mother would never agree to this."

His statement was not wrong; our mother would never allow this visit to happen. It was indeed unbecoming for a princess to mingle with the crowd but when was I ever into a conventional approach?

"Please brother," I eyed him with the most innocent look I could muster- the lids of my doe-shaped eyes were wide apart and my lower lip trembled slightly, "It won't be long, I promise."

"No." He answered with a deadpan expression as if he was immune to the look. For a few seconds, I glared at him before an idea struck me- mission bribery.

"I would gift you-"

"No"

The mission failed even before commencing-

"How about-"

"No"

"Can you stop-" "No" "-Saying no?"

Huffing with irritation, I pursed my lips in anger and pounced on him to slap his head or pull his hair- whichever seemed easier to me at that time.

"You stupid brother-"

"Get off me!" He groaned, trying to push me away without hurting me.

"NO, LISTEN TO ME YOU BABBLING BABOON!" I exclaimed.

"I am not going to listen to anything! I. am. not. going and so are you." He growled at me, trying to free his tresses that were attacked by my paws. 

"But I want to go~" I whined, my voice started to crack and the tips of my eyes turn red, articulating a tear in the corner. This was the breaking point for all my family members, a drop of tear from my eyes, and all my desires were accomplished. In my last life, several times had I used this for my cause but in this lifetime... maybe I would do the same.

His honey-brown eyes bore into my light-hazel eyes that were brimming with tears. For a moment his slightly chapped lips bow-shaped lips pursed together before contriving a sigh. He shook his head in defeat and took a seat on the settee near us.

It was mid-summer in the terrains of Medinikhand, the sun was above the head but the soothing gales from the shores made the temperature a bit bearable for the residents. In all this, a ray of light fell on my brother whose curly locks were in a mess due to me pulling them while his well-chiseled jawline was clenched- contemplating what he should do to escape the situation I have put him in.

"Okay, I would accompany you- only if you get permission from our mother." With this, the verdict was relayed and I was defeated.

"Bhrata, you are one vicious being to debate with." I mumbled and arranged my dupatta that was disarrayed by our little scuffle.

"I have to be else my sister would chew me alive." He chuckled and brushed off specks of dust from his dhoti. "Jokes apart, you are not leaving the palace ground Vijetri, it could be dangerous." He warned before getting up and reaching out for me. His eyes held mischief and without warning, he ruffled my locks creating a mess of them, similar to his.

"Now we are even." He smirked and before I could do anything, he rushed out of the room as if his dhoti was on fire- only to bump into our father who was entering the room.

"What is happening here?" His voice boomed. Regardless of how many births I took, my legs shivered in his presence. Despite being doting, he was a man with discipline who liked things in order. In my last life, if not for me hurting myself severely, he would have never agreed to my union with Urjit- if only I listened to him...

"Nothing father," Bhrata Aadhirai answered. Due to his back facing me, I was unable to discern his emotions but the slight quiver of his shoulder spoke it all. it was not fear that we had for our father, rather it was endless respect we held for him that we wanted to show our very best version to him, he was like our ideal.

Gentle might not be the word we would consider him for but in his last moments of last life- I remember him giving all sorts of blessings he had for me despite struggling on his death bed. After saying all this, it could be briefed that he was a good father; someone we looked up for inspiration and guidance.

"Then why do both of you look like a soldier returning from war? Messed up attire and look at your hair, I might have considered you some street rat if you both were not my kids." He scowled while glaring at my brother who was fidgeting on his spot.

"Ouch! That was harsh, father." I scoffed while walking toward him, "What is harsher is the fact that for one week your only daughter had severe and you didn't bother to visit her."

I puffed my cheeks. Anger surged through my veins but I knew lately he must be busy. It was around the same time when a spice scam resurfaced in the entire kingdom and almost every state wanted some explanation from Medinikhand due to us being the major supplier throughout the land.

"Eh-" An awkward voice escaped the lips of my father and his tensed slightly tensed shoulder depicted his discomfort. Such an open show of emotions, it was reserved only for us; his family. Else, Maharaj Bhairav of Medinikhand was once known for his iron fist rule and his valor in the war was said to be unprecedented; it was rumored that his sword could pierce through any mantle and none of his enemies were said to come out of the deadly duel with him. His scars were the proof of them, especially the scar near his eyes that he obtained when he was just seventeen years old yet dared to enter the vicious battlefield that was renowned to gulp away even seasoned warriors. 

"Leave it," I sighed for the umpteenth time today, "I know you were busy. The walls of the palace could be too thin at times."

He visibly relaxed at my statement but the guilt was still lining his visage.

"But there would indeed be a punishment for that," I added, leaving my father confused and brother baffled with such an obnoxious statement.

"Vija!" He exclaimed but I brushed him off.

"You have to teach me sword fight."

❁┈┈┈❅ ⋞〈 ✿ 〉⋟ ❅┈┈┈❁

Bhrata- brother

Maharaj- Emperor

❁┈┈┈❅ ⋞〈 ✿ 〉⋟ ❅┈┈┈❁

Hello peeps!

How was the chapter?

What do you think Vijetri would do next?

I tried to add bit of fluff, was it alright?

What are your thoughts regarding this family time? 

Should I do more of these?

Please vote and comment if you liked the chapter!

Till then, bye bye