18. Princess's Promise

My palanquin reached the palace, stopping just before the towering gates but my mind was still lost in the sight I witnessed before the gates of the Prime minister's residence. The entire place was crowded with the mob, some crying while others demanding justice. One thing that they all had in common was various spices in their hand.

Trying to remember further of the scene, I grabbed onto the hem of my skirt and fiddled with it. All of them were suffering. I could see the misery and pain brimming from their eyes; their sorrow dripping in the form of their tears. The voice of people pleading for justice was as if falling on the stone walls of the boundary and rebounding to the ears of the owner.

Amidst the voices of many commoners, I could hear a faint voice from the top of the watchtower. "The prime minister is occupied currently. He has just returned from the court. Please leave."

The cold zephyr of the summer evening parted the curtains a little bit more and all I was able to see was dejection. The raw sentiment of disappointment and dejection was evident in the eyes of people. With sagged shoulders and bare feet, many of them started to turn around ready to depart.

"Wait!"

Before I could even think, my lips parted and the words were out of my mouth. I was continuously hearing the mocking voice of the Prime Minister when he addressed me as 'Rajkumari'.

With a long breath and determination peeking through the lids of my eyes, I stepped out of my palanquin. I was not going to rest back like the old me while the poor suffered. It was the time that I earn the title of 'Rajkumari' by my deeds and not just by birth.

All my confidence and determination vanished as soon as I stood in front of the crowd of disappointed citizens. Sweat started to articulate on my palm and a wave of nervousness passed throughout my body.

As soon as the crowd saw me, they joined their hands and bowed in front of me. It was very easy for even a novice like me to see through their actions and realize that this was not respect that they were showing to their Rajkumari but just an act to save their life.

I was feeling disappointed in myself for not gaining their respect. These people, the citizens of this country of whom I was the Rajkumari, did not even have any connections with me.

"Please rise. I was just passing by and heard your pleas. Is something wrong? Are you people facing any difficulty?"

I tried to get my softest and most earnest voice out of me. I was here to help them and feel their pain so that I could relieve it. But I and they very well knew that I could not blend into their pain.

"We are sorry to disturb you, Rajkumari. We were just here to present our issues to the prime minister so that he could relay this to his Majesty, but he seems to be resting currently. I, on behalf of all of them, apologize to you. Our pleas seem to have stopped you to go to your destination."

Sarcasm and anger laced his voice. The man, who spoke, appeared to be from a low but well-fed family. With proper clothing and words, I was pretty sure he was educated. The irritation in his voice meant that the issue was big and was ignored for a good time. The satire in his voice towards me and the king at the same time clearly showed that he considered death as a better option than living.

"You should not apologize, Sir. I am a member of the royal family and it is my duty to look forward that all of you are comfortable. May I know the reason behind your pleas?"

I was nervous all through my body. My palms were clammy and were in fists, to control my skittish feelings. Irrespective of them, my body was straight and was appearing relaxed. My voice, though a bit squeaky, held authority in it.

"Rajkumari should not disturb herself with these pity issues.  I again apologize. We were just leaving."

The same man replied before any other could even utter a syllable. For a few moments, there was complete silence before he bowed to me and turned around.

"I repeat, may I know the reason behind your pleas?"

My mind snapped and my voice was washed up with anger. I knew that he was disappointed but he overstepped his limits. My anger made the entire area silent, silence that held their tensed breaths. My voice made the man stop in his tracks and look toward me. My stance went rigid and authority reeked from me.  My face went stoic and all the politeness vanished into thin air.

"I apologize on his behalf, Rajkumari. He crossed his limits in the fit of anger and sufferings that we are enduring."

A wise and old voice came from between the crowds. I heard several whispers before everything went quiet and still back again. My stance loosened and the stoic expression was replaced by a confused one.  I took a heavy breath and a momentary pause to calm my body before continuing.

"Please come forward and do elaborate."

My voice was back to normal. The only thing that was absent this time was the skittishness in it. My body, though calm, was still rigid and my nervousness was long gone. I heard some shuffling amidst the crowd before a thin, old man stepped forward.

Dressed in plain white dhoti, the man had wrinkles on his skin.  He was walking barefoot on the scorched land of Medinikhand. Though old, his steps were not wobbly as he walked straight up to me and bowed.

"Rise kaka. Please tell me about your difficulties."

He appeared to be very old. And if an old man like him was standing in front of the palace, pleading to the king so that he ends their misery, the problem has to be big and essential.

"Rajkumari, we common people do not wish for any luxuries. All we wish is to have is a proper place to live and a proper meal to satisfy the hunger of our family. We are satisfied with that only. Medinikhand has always cultivated surplus crops and the royal family has always ensured our proper nutrition. But, it seems that this time things have changed. Fake spices are being sold in the market, Rajkumari. We are facing difficulty in filling our stomachs. Please help us Rajkumari, please. We beg you. Please hel-"

Before he could even complete his words, tears flowed down his eyes and his voice turned into sobs. I could feel a warm drop slithering down my face. My eyes started feeling heavy and tears brimmed in my eyes. I saw tears and helplessness in the eyes of everyone present there. All the eyes were glimmering with unshed tears. Men,  women, and children, are all standing in front of the palace hoping to get a solution to their misery.

"Do not cry, Kaka. Please do not cry. You all came here in hopes of ending your misery. As a member of the royal family, I can not let you all go unsatisfied. Thus, I, Rajkumari Vijetri, promise you all that I would stand up in front of the king and convey your issues to him. Please rest assured. I will surely find a solution to end your pain, please be assured."

For some, it was just a topic to laugh on. The 'princess', who has never even stepped out of the palace to greet the locals during festivities, has pledged to end the spice problem. But for others, it was a ray of hope. A light in the prevailing darkness.

❁┈┈┈❅ ⋞〈 ✿ 〉⋟ ❅┈┈┈❁
How was the chapter?

Sorry, the update was late but it would remain like this due to my other issues.

I hope you liked the chapter and sorry again.