33. Ache of Quondam

The room, was decorated in shades of passion for a night where love bloomed but now, it was brimming with an ominous tension. The dim lights earlier thought to give an erotic undertone to the room, now seemed trouble to the vision for it hindered the sight of Nyrvig's visage. There was a thick tension in the air and the silence made me uncomfortable.

'Purohita Daksha is the reason for my mother's death.'

Nyrvig's words were running in my mind repeatedly. There were numerous questions and confusion in my brain and many were being added within a fraction of seconds. I glanced at Nyrvig, sitting on the settee, his face slightly visible. There was a new expression in his eyes, the one I did not know existed in him. Pain.

"How?"

My voice was choked and threads of fear started to articulate in my mind.
If she could be the reason behind a queen's death then she could surely harm me.  Nyrvig looked at me, his eyes glimmering as if he was restraining tears that were daring to cascade down his face.

"Before the announcement of my mother's coronation as queen of Sakhya Pradesh, Daksha made a prophecy." His voice was croaked and merely above a whisper. His strong demure was long gone and all his shields dropped. "Her words still linger in the minds of citizens of Shakya Pradesh, haunting and torturing the well-wishers of my mother to the core."

"Death shall loom over either the kingdom or the queen if the woman forth my eyes become the Maharani of Sakhya Pradesh."

His face was dark as if this very memory brought back immense anger to him. I walked near him, the tinkling of my anklets breaking the silence that ascended the prophecy. I kept my hand on his shoulder, making him look at me. I could see his eyes soften a bit before he averted his eyes yet again.

"It is well known that words spread faster than fire. The whole kingdom was against my father's decision but my father did not pay any heed to them. My mother's coronation as the queen of Sakhya Pradesh was completed at the decided date."

Pain flashed over his face and I could feel my own eyes growing heavy. Nyrvig got up from the settee and walked towards the balcony, maybe trying to find peace in the cool and calming mountainous zephyrs. I followed him to the balcony, the cold environment making goosebumps rise on my skin. I shivered a bit due to the cold but my curiosity made me ignore it.

"People were angry with my father and started planning murder attempts on my mother. No one would want a queen who is a bad omen." He scoffed, but the scoff could not hide the underlining pain that masked his face. "One such attempt succeeded and my mother left us forever."

His last sentence was merely a whisper but it held enough emotions to make tears flow down my face. I took hold of his hand, trying to provide him with a warmth I could muster up.

He shook his head, maybe trying to clear his thoughts, and freed his hands from mine. He turned towards me, many emotions swirling within the obsidian black eyes.

"From that day, father appointed her as the royal priestess. Her prophecies are always correct but the only issue is, all of her prophecies are similar to omen."

I could see my reflection in his eyes brimming with tears and fear. He was completely vulnerable, similar to the Nyrvig which I longed to witness before my marriage. He was scarred, similar to me. Though his fears were from his current life while mine was inherited from my previous one.

I felt warm hands engulfing me and I found myself in Nyrvig's warm embrace. My heart started beating faster due to his contact but I took deep breaths to calm it down. I reciprocated the hug, rubbing his back and providing him with the warmth which he longed for since the death of his mother. We both stood there in utmost silence, seeking warmth from each other to face the day ahead.

The cold breezes caressed my face, turning it white and I shivered. Nyrvig stepped back and gazed at me, his eyes were a bit red.
"You should go inside otherwise you would fall sick. I am going to freshen up." His voice was deep and hoarse. He left from there without hearing a reply and I rushed back inside the room.

The dim lights were at the point of passing out making the room completely dark. Moving cautiously, I moved towards the swing inside the room. My mind was busy contemplating various scenarios for tomorrow and it just made the issue worst.

I groaned and pressed my head to get free from the rising headache. I needed to get a plan to escape this issue and my thoughts were leading nowhere near to it. My mind was busy focusing on the visions that it was creating, some bad and others worse.

"Overthinking would not help Vijaya. It is better if you sleep and give your mind rest."
Nyrvig's hoarse voice broke my thoughts and I turned in the direction of his voice. I could deduce a silhouette, near the doors to the bathing area.

"My mind can not come to rest Ny- Arya when I know the presence of an upcoming threat." Though my voice was dripping with worry, my heart fluttered at the moment I called him 'Arya'.

I heard footsteps and soon he stood in front of me, the light from the nearly extinguished lamps highlighting his bare chest. I gulped and shook my head to overcome the irreverent thoughts that came to my mind and focused on the important issue.

"Royalty is always followed by threats Vijetri. It is not wise to think about a situation that is out of the control of our hands. Though Daksha's prophecies are always inauspicious, she never takes sides. She would only say the thing that she sees."

Warmth spread inside my chest due to the concern that dripped from Nyrvig's voice. I merely nodded at him and moved towards the bed. I could find a solution to this issue later but now I needed to gather all the energy I could for the upcoming day.

❁┈┈┈❅ ⋞〈 ✿ 〉⋟ ❅┈┈┈❁

Purohita- Priestess

Maharani- Queen

Arya- A method to address husband

❁┈┈┈❅ ⋞〈 ✿ 〉⋟ ❅┈┈┈❁

Hey guys!

How was the chapter?

Any opinions on Nyrvig's breakdown?

Make sure to vote and comment.

Till then, byes!