14. Thoughts Unturned

The next day, clouds were hovering in the skies of Medinikhand and there was yet for the sun to rise when I woke up. There was a shrill buzz in my head due to yesterday's event and my sudden escapade just after recovering from the fever. Despite all this, I rose and freshened myself up for the daily practice. 

The clangs of the swords and the voices of soldiers were getting louder with every step that I was taking toward the arena. My palms were in fists and a layer of sweat was spread throughout them. I was nervous, to say the least. I was going to be in front of my father for the first time after yesterday's incident and I knew he would have many questions. I was just planning on my words for all possible questions when I entered the arena.

"Glad to see that you are up for the practice sister."

I was surprised to see all of my brothers in the arena with no signs of my father. I never met Bhrata Aadhirai in the training area and the rest of my brothers, they were not even in town for me to encounter them.

"Do not be surprised Vija. Father would not be able to join you today so instead, it's we three who are going to help you in practice."

Bhrata Aadhirai's words were calm as usual but I could sense a baritone of humor in his voice. Or was it mischief? I ignored it and nodded to them indicating I was ready. I was excited to train with my brothers. With their presence, the chirpy and mischievous princess always showed her real traits. I was the most comfortable with the,m to say the least. I was even contemplating if they would go lenient on me.

Lesson number I do not remember# My brothers are worse than my father when it comes to torturing.

I huffed and carried the sacs of sand up the staircase with I do not know how many stairs left. "What special deed did I do to deserve this special treatment of yours my dear brother?" Sarcasm laced my voice and I heard Ashoka chuckle. You wait till I get my hands free.

"Perhaps escaping the palace without meeting your dear brothers was one of them" was all he said before rushing back to his practice.

I huffed and stopped in the mid of the staircase to breathe. That was when I heard footsteps behind me. I turned to glance at Bhrata Aditya who was coming toward me. Seeing him always reminded me of the proposal Nyrvig kept in front of me. The proposal that could save his life and bloodshed but could destroy my life.

"You are overthinking again."

Surprise washed over my face. Did he know? I looked up into his eyes which were calm and had depth inside them. He doesn't know but still is aware of my turmoil. If he knew then I am more than sure Nyrvig would be dead till now for engaging his only sister in political conflicts. That was the love they hold for me and that was the only thread that Nyrvig was using. 

"What do you mean?" I feigned innocence but I very well knew he saw the vulnerability in my eyes last night and even now. He might not be as expressive as Bhrata Aadhirai when it came to his feelings but I could see the worry in his stance.

"Your innocent act can not fool me, sister. You need to do better if you truly wish to trick me and you very well know what I mean."

I agreed with the first part of his words. I seriously need to work hard on my expressions if I wish to trick him or Bhrata Aadhirai, which I truly want, so yeah. But I was completely clueless about the second part of his speech. I truly did not know what he meant. Perhaps he saw the confusion on my face since he elaborated.

"We humans tend to forget about our present while thinking about the future and that complicates our life."

I had been thinking about my future since my rebirth. Whether my life would be similar to my previous life or would I  have the same torturous life.  Even in Nyrvig's case, I was worried about my future life with him. Whether I would be happy with him or if he would treat me similar to as Urjit treated me. But isn't the future something we all worry about? Don't we think about the future consequences before taking the steps?  Before I could think any further the questions were out of my mouth and I saw a glint of pride enter the eyes of my brother.

"You are right my sister. We always think about the future consequences before taking any decision and it is the right thing to do. But the thinking comes after we have proper knowledge of our problem. We do not keep repeating the problem in our mind but instead, we find information about our problem. Perhaps you can do the same."

I was thinking if I would be happy after accepting the proposal that I completely forgot about Nyrvig. I do not know him and I am contemplating my life with him. He can also have a side that I have yet to see. A real side of him. Or maybe the side that I have witnessed is the only real one. I can not reach any conclusion but I surely got to know what I need to do now.

"Now stop thinking dear sister. You still have to carry the sac upstairs." He smirked and went away and I just groaned when I was reminded of the sac. Why are my brothers devils and angels at the same time?

I grumbled about the heart of stone that my brothers carry and carried the sac to the rest way upstairs. I had much more things to do than simply waiting for the future to unfold. And for now, I needed to finish my task before my devil of brothers give me an extra task as a punishment for tardiness. 

I was lucky enough that my brothers got tired of torturing and punishing me for last-day events otherwise my whole body would have been sore for I do not know how many days. While I along with my brothers were leaving the arena a herald entered and in his usual loud voice announced

"Maharaj Bhairav has called for the upper court to welcome Rajkumar Nyrvig of Shakya Pradesh. He expects all the Rajkumar and Rajkumari to be present there by the beginning of the next prahar."

And I knew, the time for my decision has come.

❁┈┈┈❅ ⋞〈 ✿ 〉⋟ ❅┈┈┈❁

Bhrata- brother

Rajkumar- prince

Rajkumari- Princess

Pahar- collection of 3 hours

❁┈┈┈❅ ⋞〈 ✿ 〉⋟ ❅┈┈┈❁

le vedvaani:

chapter by Behind-the-glasses