1

My name is Africa Masango. I am a law student and I work at a bar. I lead a very simple life, that's euphemism for boring but it's okay. The place I work at isn't so bad. You can get something to eat, drink and some nice music.

Bra white is the owner of the place. I don't really know why they call him that and I've never cared to ask. The bar looks like a scene from a cowboy movie. He talks about that part of his life almost every chance he gets.

Out of all of his travels overseas, none have intrigued him like the countryside in the united states. He loved everything about the place. The bar is filled with pictures of horses and cowboy hats. The place is even named "The cowboy's hat".

Everything is not as I've expect it to be but it's okay. My job isn't all that glamorous but it pays the bills.

In the romance department, well...

I'm in love with this handsome, goofy boyfriend of mine and we're happy. My school work is very demanding but I try to make it work. It's nice to have some freedom but I often miss my family. I talk to my dad almost everyday. I call my twin sister whenever I can.

Being an adult is very difficult but I do get a chance to relax and unwind but it takes a great deal of begging and pleading from my friend Sphesihle. She's the life of the party and I am a wallflower.

I work on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays, I do weekends when my schedule loosens up. Today's Monday is not different from most of the other Mondays. Business and time, same WhatsApp group. It's slower than a tortoise.

I was informed that I would be working at the till as soon as I came in. I hate the till, I'd rather work in the kitchen or something else that doesn't involve me faking a smile or taking bad attitude from obnoxious customers.

Before I can even get comfortable in my working area, a plate of food is tossed onto the counter.

"What kind of establishment do you run here?. You made me wait for almost an hour for a simple meal only to get my order wrong and the food is cold", Seriously people are letting this whole 'customer is always right' business get to their heads. I'm so not in the mood for such pettiness.

"If this is how you treat cust...."
"I heard your whining the first time okay, I'll fix it", I cut him off.

He looks like he's about to reprimand me for being a naughty child who disrespects older people but he doesn't look like an old person. He's probably the same age as me.

"Boss!.. Boss!... Bra white", I yell into the kitchen.
"What is it?!", He's grumpier than he usually is. I wonder who pissed him off today.

"Wrong order", I simply let him know as soon as I see him. He looks at the guy. He's not a regular and Bra white doesn't trust strangers. He thinks that they are health inspectors or journalists so he does the 'right thing' because the 'customer is always right'. He's going to give whoever messed up the order hell for making him lose money.

"Fix it, on the house", he disappears into the kitchen.

"What would you like to have?...on the house", I ask him.

"What do you think I should have, Mabhebeza( baby girl)?", He smirks and I cringe. I make sure he sees it.

I hate it when customers try to flirt with me, especially when I'm not in the mood.
"What do you want?", I breathe out in frustration.

"A beer", he says. I think he doesn't like it when things don't go his way.

"Just a beer", I ask. This is very annoying.

"Yeah", he says.

"So you're not hungry anymore"

"Yes", he simply says.

"Fu*k this," I breathe out and roll my eyes.

"And don't forget, the customer is always right", he smiles.

I give him his beer and he takes his time with it. He comes back after while and he orders some chips.

"I'd like some chips", he smiles again and I just hate every single minute of being here. I write down his order and as I am walking away he calls me.

"Waiter... Please make them crispy", I turn to walk away but he calls me again.

"Please don't add any spice, it gives me heartburn... just salt and vinegar."

He's teasing me.

"Wait...", I turn back again and now I am really angry.

"You're the first person customers see when they walk in here so please smile." It's a demand, not a request but I wouldn't care even if he was on his knees.

I fake a smile and dare him ( in my mind) to say one more thing but he doesn't.

In the kitchen I almost want to convince Nolitha to spit in his food. I know she won't. She's the queen of hygiene and would probably take it as an insult. I'm too much of a coward to do it myself.

After receiving his food he decides to sit at  the bar area. Just when I think he's done with his tricks I hear his loud chewing noises but I suck it up. I don't want to get into trouble with Bra white. I got my first written warning last week and with the mood he's in, he would fire me on the spot.

I think he knows that I'm staring at him with all the repulsion and disgust in the world but he pays no mind to me as he chews away, irritating me with each bite.

***
Hello everyone. Thank you for giving my story a chance and leading it to 6k reads. I never imagined it getting this far but thank you again.

I'm currently editing so they might be a few changes and fixing going on for the next couple of days/month.

I'm sorry if it's an inconvenience but what's better than reading your favourite story twice with it being twice as better.

Thank you for understanding and happy reading 🖤