Chapter 25

My mom shook me awake. "Come on, go to bed. We fell asleep." I was more awake than she'd ever know. The dream was still burning in my mind, and I quickly engraved as much of it as I could into my dream journal after getting to my room. Will he even remember? Will he recognize my mom's voice?

Would it even matter if he did? I quickly succumbed to the one person who was trying to play me. For all I knew, he could be scheming against me with Sasha and Evan. He wanted something more sinister than a mere innocent relationship. And besides that, I doubt he'd remember any of this, especially hearing my mom's voice. He didn't seem like he was in a lucid state. And I was definitely in his dream. He wasn't in mine.

I was trying not to like him any more than I already had. And when it came down to it, how far would it go? I wasn't interested in a relationship just for it to be all fun and games until someone went to a different college, and then we ended up in a long-distance relationship and—

Once again, I was getting ahead of myself. Grey and I were, not in a million years, getting together. And that was that.

The haze of sleep slowly overcame me, and I finally drifted off.

"I'm guilty."

Discomfort spread through my chest, and a familiar parking lot appeared around me. A gun was pressed to my temple, and I saw my father's body crumple in slow motion. Sickening dread coursed through my veins, and my mind screamed for me to wake up.

"I didn't want to kill him." His voice echoed throughout the parking lot. Tears flooded my vision.

"I didn't realize what I had done until I pulled the trigger."

The man's grip on my shoulders tightened. I was a small child again; his strong grown-up hands trapped underneath their hold.

"It was a split-second reaction... I just lost my wife. I had two kids to feed, but if I had just waited one more day—you idiot. You absolute idiot." The man slammed the gun down on the ground, and his ironlike grip released me from its grasp. I yanked myself away and fell over my dad's body, gripping him tightly.

"I'm so sorry..." the man said.

It can't be my dad's murderer.

"Honey, you haunt my dreams every night. I need peace. Please."

My cries intensified, and I cradled my father. His head lolled back as I lifted him. My arms shook as I placed my head on his shoulder, avoiding his blood.

"I didn't mean any of it," he whispered. He sounded so guilty. His hand met my shoulder and squeezed it softly. "If you could only forgive me, I beg of you."

I lifted my head as I screamed, "Wake up!"

***

I could hardly function in school on Monday—my dream left me feeling sick. No matter how much poking around all my friends did, I remained distant. They wouldn't be able to understand no matter how hard they tried. What could I tell them anyway? Hey, I can travel into people's dreams, and I so happened to travel into the dream of my father's killer, hooray! This dilemma was my problem and my problem alone.

The cherry on top of my bad day was seeing Grey after school. He leaned against my car, staring at me expectantly.

As much as I wanted Grey, I knew he was nothing more than the trouble I'd need to avoid. Sure, dreams with him were fun. And that's all it should be. Dreams.

I signed, "Please, move."

He ignored my request and asked, "Can we go for a walk?" His voice was too gentle, and a blush rose to my cheeks despite my unhappiness.