Chapter 1: Different Playing Fields

Chapter 1

Different Playing Fields
-----------------------------------
O'Shae

"Is you nervous girl? I know I am." My friend asked after getting my attention.

"Nah, I think this'll be fun, I know I'm gonna do better than my link leader did last year. Home girl was straight rude." I reminisced. Corina nodded agreeing.

This year we were both going to be crew leaders for the incoming college freshman. Corina has been trippin' since last week about all of it thinking she won't be able to handle it, but I think she got it, and I definitely think I got it too. College freshmans can be something else, but for the most part their all nervous. This new environment ain't easy to come into and everything you hear about college could put you off, and I know all of that simply because that's how it was for me.

"I'm sayin'! Shorty with the bob right?" She asked to clarify.

I nodded and picked up a fry before dipping it in some ketchup and eating it. "That's the one. She had 'bout the poorest attitude. Definitely ruined my first day on campus."

"Ugh right, she had blew me completely, but I'm just more so nervous about having to show them everything without forgetting stuff." She further explained. I nodded understanding.

Clark Atlanta is a huge university with multiple facilities, and remembering everything isn't going to be easy, but we aren't suppose to remember everything. Our main job is to show the freshman their dorms, help them get setup, and give them a quick tour of the main places they need to know about and answer any questions regarding the school. I brushed up on the rules and expectations this last week so whatever questions they have I'm sure I could answer them.

"Well think about it, we only have five major places they need to know about, so name 'em straight off the bat."

She bit down on her lip and started thinking before having an expression of realization.

"Okay so the dinning hall," She began. I nodded and held up one finger as I sipped from my drink. "The common, the media center, the--"

"The space on yo forehead." Our waiter, and best friend Dink interrupted.

I laughed at him as he picked up our empty appetizer plates, and sat down my refill.

"Shut the hell up Dink! Keep playin' so I can get you fired." Corina stated shaking her head.

These two have had unnecessary beef for the longest. I always think of their relationship along the lines of Pam and Martin's, because they stay heatin' each other, but steady come around one and other. They lowkey love each other, they just have a funny way of showing it.

"Get me fired Corina, I'm just gone be in yo apartment moochin' off you." He shrugged. I laughed again earning a smirk from Dink as he looked over at me.

"Ha, you wish baby boy. Now go on and clock out Lenard." Corina instructed making me laugh some more and making Dink mug her before marching off to go clock out as instructed.

"Why you do him like that Cori? Always bringin' his government up." I chuckled as I pulled out a few bills to pay for our food.

Corina smacked my hand down and placed her own money on the table before answering me. "Hey, it ain't my fault his mama named him that." She shrugged.

Dink hates his first name. He was named after his granddaddy-- Lenard Romairo Foster. Dink came about because that's something his mama had called him when he was real little, so it just carried with him all through his life, and good thing to. Dudes straight clown Dink when they find out his real name, so he tries to keep it underwraps as good as he can.