Chapter 16: Thinking

Chapter 16

Thinking
------------------------------------
-O'Shae

"I don't want to do this." August grumbled while he sat in the front seat.

"It don't matter boy, you gone have ta do this, if you wanna see betta." Ms.Sheila explained to him.

We were all in her car heading through busy as Atlanta lunch traffic. Its a pretty hot day too so all the college students are driving to pools and lakes. Meanwhile, August, Ms.Sheila, and I are all headed to the eye glass store to get Aug a pair of glasses, and some contacts.

"I know, but shit they finna be annoyin'." He sighed.

"Watch your mouth."

I leaned a little bit forward and patted him on his shoulder. "You'll be fine Aug."

"Yea whateva." he grumbled some more. I huffed and rolled my eyes at his little nasty attitude this morning, but on my way to sit back he grabbed my hand and kissed it making me melt on the inside.

He's been upset about the whole glasses situation, but it's really not that big of a deal, but according to him it is. So big of a deal he wanted me to come tag along too for the process. I was more than happy to agree just because I know he's been stressing about it, and I want him as comfortable as possible throughout this. He's had a slight attitude, but I just think it's his nerves so I'll let him be.

I got back comfortable in the hot, sticky leather seats, and just looked at the city as we drove past. Today is one of those really hot days, and I want to go to the pool when we get back especially since everyone's going, but if my baby can't get in the water than neither am I. I let the trees and people on the streets blur my vision for the remainder of the ride until we got in front of the store.

I got out first, and came around to the front to help August out. He waved me off, and did it himself before shutting the car door behind him. I walked beside him into the eye glass store along with Ms.Sheila. The cold air conditioning was the very first thing to greet us and we all sighed in relief letting it cool our already sweaty skin off. Soon enough a tall woman with a huge Afro came over to us with a big smile.

"Hi, can I help you guys with anything today?" She asked.

Ms.Sheila stepped forward and decided to be the first to speak up. "Uhm yes. My son needs to get a pair of glasses, and some contacts from y'all." She explained, reached into her purse and pulled out a piece of paper to hand to the lady. "That's the lil note from his eye docta."

The lady looked it over and then nodded. She smiled at us, and pointed down the line of glasses to the very last section on the wall. "Those are all the glasses choices you're eligible for, and if you don't see any on that wall that you like, we have a book down there filled with different styles that we can order in for you." She explained and then went on. "And when you've chosen something, just call me over and we can get started on the check out process, and I'll give you your contacts." She smiled one last time while August said okay.

The dusty carpets in the place had my allergies acting up already and I sneezed loudly causing August to look back at me."You okay baybeh?"

"Yea, I'm fine. Just need some tissue. I'll be over in a second."

He nodded and headed for the glasses with his mama while I headed for the box of tissue I noticed was propped on the checkout counter. I grabbed two pieces and blew my nose and then through them in the trash next to me. When I looked back up I damn near jumped out of my skin due to how close some man was to me.

"O'Shae, Is that you?" He asked. I looked up and stared at the person before me.

With the exception of a few new gray hairs, and a light beard, he still looked the same. He smiled at me, and then reached out for a hug, I walked into his open arms, and hugged him tight before letting go. He smelled nice and like he smelled many years ago when I first met him.