Chapter 8

"Likewise. You look so beautiful." She nods her head respectfully and then shakes Sherlock's hand before stepping back to shadow the other people. As we all continue talking I see her meticulously examining everything, looking at McIntyre maliciously thinking nobody can see. I have some suspicions.

I feel as though I'm being ignored, and I'm getting no information we didn't already know before this night. Mira ushers for me to join her upstairs "I'll see you soon" I say to Sherlock, his hand slipping off my waist as I walk away. "Find me for a dance when you can." I hear him call.

I join Mira on the balcony of the ballroom where we can see all the couples dancing. "It's beautiful, isn't it?" she says suddenly, catching me off guard slightly. "Yes- Yes, it is... very beautiful." I sputter out.

"It's all a game. See?" she points to people on the floor "Winning." the dancers "losing." the incipit wallflowers. "And it's fun... once you know the rules." She smiles cheerfully at me. "You and Mr Holmes seem to be a good match. Winning?" she inquires.

... "Yes, we are very happy that this opportunity has come up for us." I hated the man but 2-3 days ago. Ms Troy seems satisfied with my answer, so I take it upon myself to ask her a question "How did you find yourself working for McIntyre? I can't imagine he's very forthcoming, or a good payer." she lets out a small giggle and shakes her head. "No he is an awful man, but it's a living. Forever undervalued."

"I am sorry" is all I can find to say.

"It is not yours to be sorry about." She squeezes my shoulder and continues watching the guests dance. I hear heavy footsteps coming behind us and I spin around to be greeted by Sherlock. I thought I was meant to find him. "Hi... what's going on?" he seems annoyed and does a quick scan of the room. "My sister is here."

"Oh," I say in a surprised tone, "I thought you told her not to yeah never mind, I hear it."

"Can you find her, make sure she's okay?"

"Why me? She's your ward"

"Please just do it."

"Fine." I turn to see Mira was there the whole time "Sorry about that... I must leave you. It was a pleasure speaking with you."

"Likewise."

I strut through the crowd searching for my girl until I finally spot her, in a lovely, lavish, light green dress. "Enola, what are you doing here?" I say in a hushed tone while speeding towards her. Her eyes widen with panic. "I did not think ahead truly, I had a mask but... you see my problem" she says while motioning to the rest of the unmasked crowd. I roll my eyes and she gives me a pitiful look.

"Sherlock sent you to find me?" I let out a sigh and throw my head back. "Yep." She leans next to me in a curious way "Well, if you will allow me to continue my case. I have something for you to help me with."

"Oh alright," I say slightly surprised "What?"

"Act as my chaperone so I can speak to William."

"But I'm an unmarried lady who is in no way related to you."

"I spent a whole night at your family's house, we're practically related." I glare at her and she drops it. Enola begins to walk away but I grab her arm. "Uh, where are you going?" she stops so I let go of her. "To solve my case." I smack my forehead "No. I promised your brother I would take care of you." I must seem a bit pathetic, taking orders from some snotty man on the same level as me but it is not purely because of Sherlock, okay?

Okay, it is.

"You don't need to do everything he tells you, you know? I don't. Look where I am."

"In a ball with no plan and surrounded by terrible people, yes it's served you well." Said sarcastically of course, but I do not mean to be harsh with her. "Look, I shall leave you to do whatever methods you must as long as you promise me to stay out of trouble, okay?" Her eyes light up and her sweet smile returns "Yes. I promise to fly under the radar." With that, she walks away hastily.