chap 6

Are you sure they're gonna be alright?” Dibbs asked. 

“Yes,” Monty replied. 

They were in Monty’s cabin. The wooden walls made sure that the atmosphere was always warm and welcoming. There were yellow hanging lights from the ceiling and the dining room and kitchen were open to the living room where everyone was. 

There was no electricity but Jane had made sure the generator was up and running so they still had power. Upstairs there were 4 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms. The floor was wooden with a red and gold carpet tracing the house. 

“I still think it's too dangerous to go out on your own,” Monty’s mom said. 

“I'll be alright, I'm just gonna pick them up and bring them back here, no biggie,” Mons argued. 

“But you've seen how it was out there! Hell, it took you 2 days just to get here, I was worried sick” she said. 

“Guys hush!” Haze said in a loud tone. He was crouched beside the glass coffee table in front of the dark green couches. The radio they had was on. The others had radios of their own as well seeing as Monty stored them for emergencies. 

“What?” Monty huffed, walking out into the living room and seeing what everyone was up to. 

“If this signal is getting out to anyone, we bring a message!” A feminine voice came from the other line on the radio. 

“What channel is this?” Mons asked. 

“Channel 354,” Jane answered. 

“An angel number,” Haze muttered. 

“We are sending this message to anyone who can hear it, if you are in need of supplies or assistance then there is a sanctuary here in Oregon and we are welcoming anyone who can come,” the radio said, “we will broadcast this message every Saturday for three weeks, good luck and may god have mercy on your souls.” 

“Oregan?” Montys mother gasped. “That's like 3 states away.” 

“It’s not that far for being in Colorado,” Monty shrugged,

“What about the others? We need to get them first," Haze said. 

“Yeah there's no way we're leaving without them,” Jane butted in. 

“We'll make sure to get them, don't worry,” Monty said. 

“What about you?" Monty said to his mom, "I heard there's a small shelter nearby. Want to take Benson there?” He asked, gesturing to the small brown lap dog that was asleep on the couch. 

“Sure, but if you guys are going all that way…” she looked up at her 6’5 son worriedly. 

“I'm 17 mom, I'll be fine,” he tried to comfort her. 

“We’ll make sure to look out for him,” Haze said. 

“Yeah, we’ve got each other's backs,” Jane said, standing up confidently. 

“Alright, fine. Make sure you guys are safe, here’s a map for the road, there's a train station nearby so I think that’ll be your best bet to get to Oregan,” she said trying to conceal her fear. She handed Monty a compass and map. “Once you guys see what they're all about, make sure to contact me and I'll see if I can get there also,” she said. 

Monty hugged her tightly, “thanks Mom” he smiled. 

“My little baby’s all grown up,” she fussed, tears of sorrow filling her eyes. 

“I'll be safe,” he smiled. 

“Get some rest, once you guys pick up your friends you can head for Oregan,” she said, holding his shoulders. Monty nodded and she picked up the small brown dog from the couch, carrying him up to her bedroom.