chapter 7

The group scurried for a place to get out of the rain, their giggles and laughs echoing lightly throughout the empty town. Wanderers were close by so they went up some stairs and to a second floor. "Oh my god," Rider laughed.

"We're soaked," Rome fussed.

"We'll dry off, don't worry," Duchess said, tying up her hair and revealing the green dyed undercut under her black dyed hair.

"All we gotta do now is wait," Everett said. Tris set her bag down and Brownie hopped out, completely dry.

Duchess set her bag and pistol down and sat on the dresser. The room had a dark wallpaper and a single window. Once they were all inside Rome and Everett moved a metal desk and bookshelf in front of the door to block it so nothing could get in.

Tris looked out the window and closed it. "I'm cold,'' she said, sitting down with her back against the wall just below the window sill.

"It's gonna be a little cold, we can ride it out though," Duchess comforted.

Everett sat down on the wooden floor and let out an over-exaggerated groan, making Rider and Duchess laugh. "I'm so tired," he said, sliding his back on the wall until he lost balance and fell onto the floor. The others laughed at the exaggerated gesture and got comfortable on the floor as well.

"How are you feelin' big guy?" Everett asked, looking over at Rome who sat a little ways away from him. "I'm fine, just exhausted," he said tiredly.

"Let's just relax before the others get here, it shouldn't be too long," Tris said.

Everyone collectively agreed and waited patiently for the others and eventually they all ended up dozing off. They were all more tired than they had ever been with sore backs and legs but they knew some rest would help.

Night fell and Duchess woke up to a soft hissing noise. She opened her eyes slowly and tried to go back to sleep in the corner she was in but the noise bothered her too much. She lifted herself off her shoulder and looked around.

It was the window. She stood up, stretched, opened the window, and saw that there was a broken fire escape. It made a makeshift balcony and she climbed out onto it, enjoying the breath of fresh air.

The night was chill and a soft breeze traveled through the city.

The automatic street lights lit up the road, revealing the wanderers that roamed below. She wondered just how the parasite worked. Remembering getting tackled by the being, she rubbed her neck softly. She hoped it hadn't infected her.

The bruise and small scratches had already healed but she could almost still feel the growing pressure in her head of being choked. She shook away the thought and a shiver went down her spine.

Hearing a soft thud behind her, she perked up and looked back into the room to see Rome crouching over something. She brushed it off as him just looking for something but something in the back of her head nagged at her to look closer.

She ignored it.

That was until she heard a yell from inside. "Get off!" Everett yelled. Duchess turned quickly to the window and spotted Rome crouched over Everett. His eyes were bloodshot and he clawed at Everett's shoulders. Everett was pushing him away but was struggling and Rome's jaws got closer to his face.

Everett kicked and squirmed under his grasp and tried to get away but was cornered. "Help!" He choked.

The call for help woke Rider and Tris.

Duchess climbed back through the window and almost tripped. She grabbed her pistol and aimed it at Rome. "Get off of him!" She yelled, kicking him in the side, making him fall off of Everett.