chapter 22

The teens slept in late the next morning. 

Dibbs was the first to wake up to the feeling of Rocky’s claws scratching at his back. “Okay okay im up” he groaned, rolling away from Monty who slept beside him. The noon sun peered through the large windows and he squinted harshly at the beaming light. 

Rocky barked loudly and Dibbs hopped off the bed. “Alright, come on” he ordered, sliding on his shoes and walking out the door. He made sure to lock it behind him and Rocky raced down the hall and Dibbs tiredly followed behind him. He led the mastiff outside to relieve himself when needed. Dibbs leaned on the exit doors frame and watched as the dog hopped and twirled around happily. 

Dibbs couldnt help but notice a large hoard on the move. He frowned and rubbed his eyes once to see if what he was looking at was real. To his surprise it was. The wanderers were fairly slow but it looks as if they followed the teens to the area. There were dark clouds in the sky. 

“Come on rocky” Dibbs called. 

The dog perked up and ran inside. They raced each other up to the floor while the rest of the people they knew slept and returned unscathed. Duchess perked up from where she rest, “where were you?” She murmured. 

“Taking Rocky to the bathroom” Dibbs informed whilst grabbing his bag and packing what he needed into it. “We need to go, there's a huge group of walkers headed our way” he informed. 

“What?! How big?” Duchess squeaked, shooting up out of her bed. 

“About the size of this building” Dibbs shrugged. 

“Let me check” Duchess sighed, throwing the large comforter off of her body and onto her sleeping partner. She walked over to the balcony and opened the glass doors, spotting the hoard not too far away. The wanderers slowly flooded the town and Duchess noticed some graffiti around the buildings that she hadn't noticed before. Although she assumed it was from when the world wasn't a total mess. 

“Yeah we could get a move on” she mumbled. 

“Lets wake the others then” Dibbs suggested. Duchess nodded and stretched her arms up to the sky and let out a heavy breath. The two woke up the rest of their groups and headed off to the next town. 

Gaining some mileage ahead of the hoard they found yet another town not too far from the previous one. The sky had grown dark but not from the time of day. “It’s gonna rain soon” Monty mentioned. 

“It might” Haze shrugged. 

“Did you get anything from Everett last night?” Tris asked rider. Rider perked up, “huh? Oh, no not really” she shrugged. Her hands hooked onto the straps of her backpack and she followed the group with doubt clouding her mind. 

“What if he didnt make it?” She asked hesitantly. 

“He did, i can feel it” Haze said, shutting down her question, not wanting to think too much about it. While tracing the large paved road they noticed many scattered cars up ahead. “What if the hoard is from here?” Dibbs asked. 

“They cant be, they were coming from the train station werent they? It’s a whole different direction from here” Duchess commented. Then she stopped. She looked left and then right, down the new fork in the road. “Which way?” She asked, looking over at Tris. 

Tris reached down into her bag and pulled out a map. “This is route 70 ain’t it?” She looked back up at the others. They nodded. “Then we go right, going left will lead us back to Colorado” she informed, tucking the map back into the bag and stroking brownies soft, light colored fur. “Lets go” Duchess encouraged, pointing in the new direction they had to walk.