Chapter 26: The William's Youngest Daughter

Early morning, Zoey was already in the office, catching up on the work she hadn't completed due to her absence. The CEO's floor was quiet, reserved for the top executives and their assistants. Zoey's frustration bubbled over as she muttered to herself:

"What a scumbag! He couldn't even make things easier for me. He couldn't find someone to fill in during my absence. Asshole!"

Dante, seemingly materializing out of thin air, leaned against the doorframe. His presence caught Zoey off guard.

"You're really full of bull, Ms. Zoey," he remarked, his tone dry.

"I won't take my words back," Zoey retorted, her anger undiminished.

"Never said you should," Dante replied, unfazed.

"Whatever."

"Spare me the drama. What's my schedule for this afternoon?" Dante asked, annoyance tainting his voice.

"Nothing," Zoey shot back, refusing to give him an inch.

He hummed, still leaning against the door.

"Do you have plans this after—"

Before he could continue, Zoey interrupted:

"Yes, I do!" Zoey cut him off, not allowing him to finish.

"Now, if you don't mind, move along. Go do your work," she dismissed him. Without a choice, Dante retreated to his office.

A few minutes past 11, Mia strolled into Zoey's office, making herself at home. Zoey, engrossed in thought with a pen in her mouth, jumped when Mia spoke:

"You can do that later. Come take a look at the contract."

Zoey's heart raced. "You could have given me a heart attack. Are you crazy?"

"What do you think?" Mia countered. Zoey rolled her eyes and joined Mia at the desk.

As Zoey reached for the pen to sign, Mia interrupted:

"Aren't you going to read what's inside?"

"I trust you—" Zoey began.

"There's still a need for you to read it," Mia insisted.

"I trust y—" Zoey tried again.

"If she doesn't want to read it, I'll do it for her," Dante's voice cut through the air as he forcibly took the contract from Zoey's hands.

"You want her to be your company's fashion designer?" Dante mocked, flipping through each page.

"It's none of your business, you asshole!" Mia snapped, wrenching the contract back from him.

"Fine, fine. I'll be composed. Everything seems nice. Sign it. I'm going somewhere. Zoey, go home without me," Dante declared.

"As if you weren't going anywhere, I'd be going home or anywhere else with you," Zoey retorted.

"I'm going to pretend I didn't hear that," Dante said before leaving.

When Dante entered the city's most expensive restaurant. The waiter led him to a quiet corner. Dante tapped his fingers impatiently on the table, glancing at his wristwatch. His wine arrived, and he sipped it, growing more restless.

After ten minutes, a lady sat across from him, her smile wide. Dante's stern expression didn't waver.

"You're ten minutes late," he stated, causing her smile to falter.

"I'm sorry, Mr. Blackwood. Traffic held me up," she explained.

Dante signaled the waiter to take her order. She wore a black suspender dress, her eyes small and dark. A faint scar marred the skin under her right eye. She was neither slender nor overweight—just average.

"It's a pleasure to see you, Mr. Blackwood," she said, her excitement palpable.

Dante hummed, nodding slightly. "I've heard a lot about you. Our parents' friendship made this marriage possible," she continued.

"What did you say your name was again?" Dante asked, feigning ignorance.

"I thought you knew me—"

"No time for this. Ms., it was good getting to know you. Tell our parents we aren't a match. There's no 'marriage' and never will be one between us. Don't let my mother's lies get to your head. First, take a good look at yourself before throwing yourself at someone of my caliber, " He said, calling the waiter over.

"Let her eat as much as she wants,it's on me. "

And with that, Dante left her sitting there, stunned and speechless.