chapter 45

Zoey's phone buzzed on the table, breaking the silence that had settled between them. She glanced at the screen, a message from Lionel lighting it up. Her heart skipped a beat, but she hesitated, her thumb hovering over the 'open' button.

Mia noticed the change in her friend's demeanor. "Is that him?" she asked, nodding towards the phone.

"Yeah," Zoey replied, her voice a mix of curiosity and caution. "He's asking if we can talk tomorrow."

Mia raised an eyebrow, a playful smirk on her lips. "Are you going to meet him?"

"I... I think I should," Zoey said, finally opening the message. "Maybe it's time I heard his side of the story."

The night grew deeper, and the city lights outside began to dim. Mia stood up, stretching her arms above her head. "I should get going. But remember, whatever you decide about Lionel, I'm here for you."

Zoey smiled, a genuine warmth in her eyes. "Thanks, Mia. You're the best."

After Mia left, Zoey sat alone, the remnants of their conversation echoing in her mind. She thought about the song 'Slower,' the lyrics now playing in her head. It was as if the song spoke to her, mirroring her own life's tempo.

She picked up her phone again, typing a reply to Lionel. "Okay, let's talk. Tomorrow."

As she hit send, she felt a strange sense of relief mixed with anticipation. Tomorrow could be the start of something new, or the end of an old chapter. Either way, Zoey knew she was ready for whatever came next.