chapter 48

"So what are you doing tomorrow? "Lionel asked as they stepped out of the café.

"I'm going to work," she said, facing him. Lionel acted disappointed and just nodded it was so cute, especially coming from a grown ass man. Zoey giggled.

"Stop acting like a kid. I've spent like my whole day with you be grateful, " she joked.

"I understand, so can I pick you up from work then?"

"Nope, I have my own car now," she said proudly

"Oh, I see then. So, the day after tomorrow, can I drop you off and then pick you up? "

"I'll think about it. I'm going home now, "

"Can I drop you off?"

"I'd rather walk alone. I need some peace of mind. "

"Okay then. Be careful and call me when you get home."

"Okay, Leo,"she said and walked away, leaving Lionel to admire her back. He was never the lucky one while growing up. He wasn't the one destined to inherit all he has now. Being born in a family of 5. His sister, who was the youngest, died in a car crash years ago, and her death still remains a mystery as the culprit is still unknown to date. As for his elder brother, he too died in the accident that took away his parents, leaving him on his own until he met her. Call it love at first sight or anything, but the first day he laid his eyes on her, he felt something, a bond or attraction that he too couldn't comprehend.

***
Flashback

Lionel was seated in a small cheap Café deep in thought when a mad Zoey sat across him. She was cursing in a low voice while chewing on her chocolate. Him thinking she was just another whore raised his face at her wanting to tell her to leave but when his gaze fell on her angry face he slightly smiled. Noticing his weird behavior he put on a poker face and asked,

"What are you doing here?"

"Am I not allowed to eat?" She asked sternly.

"I was here first-"

"Sharing is a virtue"

"Do you know who I am?"

"What's so special about you that's worth knowing?"

He just looked at her flabbergasted. Zoey just smiled and left, now she had vented her anger so was okay.

Later that night his parents' will had just being announced, he couldn't believe that he was left alone now. He had no one. Young, rich and on his own. He got drunk at this thought. Walking in the streets alone and drunk he started cursing at everything and cried.

"Why me?..Why me God? What did I ever do to deserve this?"

He cursed and cried, out of energy he passed out near a supermarket. Zoey had just bought some groceries and ready to go home. She wanted to walk home. Walking down the streets she spotted a man laying on the ground. She thought he was a begger and wanted to give him some fast food she had bought together with money so he can buy something warm as the night breeze was cold. She crouched down to his level but when she saw Lionel's face she frowned.

"God it's the guy from the café. Oh no he seems drunk. What should I do now? What should I do? I can't possibly just leave him here. I did vent my anger on him this morning I owe him one. Urgh" she supported him up and hailed a cab. She took him home and laid him on the couch, took of his shoes, cleaned his face and put a blanket over him. She left some hangover medicine, some food and water on the table before going to her room.

Lionel woke up to the sound of someone laughing. The room didn't seem familiar at all, but he saw a figure standing by the couch opposite him. He tried to sit up straight, but his head hurt, and he winced in pain. Zoey looked at him, and he just fell out of words.

"So aren't you gonna say anything? "She asked, and he just kept staring. It felt like it was after a decade when Zoey finally said

"You're welcome. Take those medications and leave. I wanna go to work."

Lionel obediently did as told. Wanting to leave without a word, he heard Zoey mumbling something before she said out loud.

"Next time, don't drown your sorrows in alcohol. It's just a waste of time. The pain will never go away. Come to terms with whatever shit you're going through and move on."

***
Present Day

Lionel smiled at the thought of the day he met her and climbed in his car before driving off to his company.