Chapter 36: Who Is She?

The next day, Brett, Brianne, and Chloe arrived in Country G. Their journey was more than a mere relocation; it was a desperate attempt to shield Chloe from the clutches of dangerous men. Brett and Brianne would go to the ends of the world to protect her, their love for their grandchild unwavering.

Their new home was a secluded mansion nestled in the mountains. The air was crisp, and the silence enveloped them like a comforting shroud. Brett and Brianne busied themselves in the kitchen, preparing dinner. Chloe, still adjusting to their sudden move, retreated to her room to freshen up.

"Sister," Brett asked, her voice tentative, "What's going to happen to Zoey now?"

Brianne sighed.

"I don't know," she admitted. "But we'll keep her safe. That's all that matters."

In Country A, Zoey's days blurred together. Her healing process dragged on, and the sterile hospital room became her cocoon. Mia, her loyal friend, visited whenever she could, but the loneliness gnawed at Zoey's soul.

"Two more weeks," Mia said innocently one day. "You have to stay here for two more weeks."

Zoey nodded, her gaze drifting to the window. "Has Dante returned?" she asked, her voice fragile.

Mia shook her head. "Not yet. But he will."

"Now, let's talk about your dress requirements."

They sat side by side, Mia jotting down Zoey's wishes. The fabric, the color, the way it would cling to her curves-each detail mattered. Zoey's heart fluttered. All thanks to Dante.

The party at Wayne's Grand Hall loomed ahead, a glittering affair where she would step into the spotlight once more.

***
2 weeks later
At the Grand Hall.

The grand hall was a sea of glittering gowns and sharp suits, the air thick with anticipation. Zoey's heart raced as she stepped into the opulent space, her red satin dress clinging to her like a second skin. She had chosen it carefully, hoping it would make her feel powerful, beautiful, and perhaps, just perhaps, unforgettable.

The room buzzed with conversation, laughter, and the clinking of crystal glasses. Zoey's eyes darted around, searching for Dante. She had been told he would be here, and her pulse quickened at the thought of seeing him again. The effects of getting too attached.

Finally spotting him, she took a wine glass from the waiter and approached them. He was with his friends. She stood in front of them with a smile playing on her face. Before she could say anything, Dante turned to Keegan beside him and politely asked

"Who is she?"

Those 3 simple words almost caused tears to well up in her eyes. So it turned out that he got her to feel something and the very next moment act like he didn't know her at all. Words felt stuck in her throat. She wanted to tell him that she was Zoey, but when she looked up at his friends, they all acted like they didn't know her.