Ch. 11 ~Keeping A Secret~

It's been a few days now since you introduced Zak to your cousin Deliah and you feel things have been pretty normal. You both still sit down to watch the episodes and Zak will watch too sometimes but not as much, probably because they remind him of the predicament he's in. However when the mood strikes, and it's an episode he really enjoys, he sticks around and even provides some extra details that weren't originally put in.

Everything feels perfect basically.

Except for two things. First, that dream has been resurfacing, among other horrific nightmares. And second you've noticed Deliah has been weary around Zak ever since that burning tattoo escapade happened.

At first you brushed it off but now it's been unavoidable, how she narrows her eyes at him every so often when he isn't looking, how she keeps her distance from him as if he'll just snap at any given moment, and how she makes short conversation with him, almost like she just wants to hurry up and get away from him.

You're not sure if Zak has already caught on and is just being quiet about it or if he hasn't noticed yet. Either way you feel bad because you thought Deliah was going to be ok with this, she seemed fine after you explained that he was good. So what was the problem? 

You just woke up and you were making your way downstairs when you spot Zak snoozing away on the couch, his face snuggled down into a pillow as he quietly snores, content and relaxed. Witnessing this causes you to get the biggest smile on your face as you quietly walk to the kitchen.

Funny, even when he's asleep Zak always somehow makes your day brighter. Once you get to the kitchen you're about to put a bagel in the toaster, when you see Deliah trudge in looking like she just walked out of a hurricane.

Her hair looked so messy you can't help but quietly laugh, "I see someone slept well." You whisper teasingly. She merely nods some and continues grabbing a glass in order to pour herself a drink. Now you know something is up because you and her always poke fun at each other in the mornings. 

"What's wrong?" You softly ask and again she says nothing, only shrugs while taking a small sip from her cup of milk, "Deliah come on I know something's wrong." She sets her glass down to speak, "It's nothing." "Yes it is something. What is it?" She always worries about you, she's done it for as long as you can remember, perhaps it's your turn for a change.

She groans knowing that you're not gonna let this go. "Come on." She whispers as she exits the kitchen, you follow her up to your room where she closes the door and flops down on your bed with a heavy sigh. You lean against the wall with your arms crossed, "Alright, what's going on?" "It's..." She starts but cuts herself short so you give her a slight verbal push, "It's... About what?" You ask and she starts again, "It's about Zak." 

Now you sigh, "Yeah I figured." She looks at you while raising a brow, "Then why did you ask?" You stop leaning on the wall and step forward, "Because I wanna know why, I thought things were ok, what happened?" She crosses her arms and says nothing, "Did he do something? Did he say anything? Or do you just not like him here? Or-" "(Y/N)." Deliah starts calm but stern, stopping you before you can question anymore as she stands up, "Look it's nothing like that alright? It's nothing he said or did and before you ask, yes I trust you. It's just him I feel I can't trust." 

"Why? He's done absolutely nothing to you." "I know, but I can't help but feel off about him." "What do you mean?" Deliah pauses for a second, "Welllll..." "If it's because of how he looks then I already told you Deliah he can't help it."

"I know, I know but the thing is... What if it isn't that he can't help it, but more or less he doesn't want to help it?" You furrow your brows and huff, "That's not true, he tells me all the time he wishes he can get rid of it but he said he's already tried everything." "Has he really? Or is he just saying that?" This is insane, "Deliah what is it I thought you were going to give him a chance!"