IX.

LAMENT | IX.
( 'CAREFUL, SHE BITES' )

WILLA WASN'T IN THE habit of begging

WILLA WASN'T IN THE habit of begging. Catelyn Stark and her father, Walder Frey, both taught her to beg for nothing. And Willa never had to beg for anything, not until now. Until the Lannisters.

Yet here she stood before Joffrey Baratheon, her king, her betrothed, and beg for the life of Eddard Stark. The man who had raised her and took her in as one of her own. Her father would frown if he could see what she was doing. He'd know about it eventually. Word gets around quickly, especially when the word involved Willa Frey.

"King Joffrey, I beg that you pardon Lord Stark. Show him mercy and start your rule peacefully," Willa begged, but she felt as though her plea fell to deaf ears.

Joffrey sat on his throne, his head resting in his palm as Willa spoke. He seemed to wish that he was elsewhere, rather than listen to Willa. So her main focus was not Joffrey, but the queen consort that sat beside him. Willa was pleading to the queen.

"And why should I show him mercy?" Joffrey asked, leaning forward on his throne.

"Out of love for me. Lord Stark has been like a father to me," Willa's voice came out quiet, and she feared that she had not been heard.

"All he has to do is confess, and I will show him mercy," Joffrey told her, "But only out of love for you."

Willa forced a smile, curtsying before Joffrey, "Thank you, Your Grace."

Joffrey chuckled softly, "Of course. Anything you want and I will give it to you."

I wish to return to Winterfell, Willa thought.

Willa left the throne room and headed to the gardens. She figured Sansa would be there. When Willa arrived at the Godswood, there was Sansa, hand clasped and eyes shut as she prayed to the Old gods. Willa didn't interrupt, she knew that everyone had their way of coping, and prayer was Sansa's.

A minute passed and Sansa finally noticed Willa. Smile wide, Sansa stood up and approached Willa, "So?"

Willa sighed, "I believe Joffrey will show your father mercy, but he is Joffrey."

Sansa's smile fell and she nodded, "Are we ever getting home?"

Willa walked over to Sansa and embraced her, "Of course we will."

Her opinions changed when Joffrey took Ned Stark's head clean off his shoulders. The scene was so horrific that Willa was frozen in her spot. Beside her, Sansa had fallen to the ground, fainting at the sight of her father's head rolling on the platform.

Willa looked at Cersei who seemed just as distraught as Willa. The queen had no control over her son, it was known to the people and more importantly it was known to Willa.